No announcement yet.

sugar ray robinson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sugar ray robinson

just wondering why has there never been a movie made about sugar ray robinson the best pound for pound fighter ever to enter the ring ? it would make a great story surely somebody would have tried to bring his story to the big screen ?

I heard at one time frank Sinatra was going to produce one with sugar playing himself. Another rumor is Eddie Murphy bought the rights to do a movie but nothing ever came of it. It is a shame nothing has transpired yet.

Comment

Been one in the works for about two years now so not sure if it'll ever materialize.

It's being based on Sweet Thunder: The Life and Times of Sugar Ray Robinson and being adapted for the screen by the writer of the book, Wil Haygood.

Comment

The story of Robinson's life is certainly an interesting one but I hope they never make a movie of it, most biopics aren't very entertaining. Also anyone with an overly romantic image of Robinson would likely be turned off by him if he was portrayed in an accurate light.

Comment

Originally posted by bender2000 View Post
          just wondering why has there never been a movie made about sugar ray robinson the best pound for pound fighter ever to enter the ring ? it would make a great story surely somebody would have tried to bring his story to the big screen ?
          There is irony here! The sugar man....no movie and all was quite prolific on television. I can remember him as a wee lad on everything from the talk show circuits to land of the giants and lost in space.

Ha go figure! I think you make a good point

Comment

Working...
          X