No announcement yet.

Who would have won HBOs Heavyweight tournement in 1995

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would have won HBOs Heavyweight tournement in 1995

HBO wants to stage a seven-bout tournament that would include Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, George Foreman, Michael Moorer, Evander Holyfield, Herbie Hide, Ray Mercer and Tommy Morrison.

http://articles.philly.com/1995-07-0...peter-mcneeley

Their proposed tournament was;

Lennox Lewis vs. Tommy Morrison
    Riddick Bowe vs. Evander Holyfield
    Michael Moorer vs. George Foreman
    Herbie Hide vs. Andrews Golota or Ray Mercer

They got two of the contests made, tournament setting or not.

Comment

In 1995 I'd probably favour Bowe to come out top. He'd have some pretty tough scraps enroute though!

As we know, Bowe had an interesting 1995 regardless. He stopped a pretty useful Herbie Hide, looked great against Gonzales and despite being a bit sluggish never-the-less knocked out an apparently ill Holyfield.

Lewis would be Bowe's stiffest test out of those named. But his confidence was a bit low after the McCall loss and he hadn't yet had time to reap the benefits of Steward's training.

Not that winning the tournament would help Bowe one bit. He'd still turn up for Golota in 1996 out of shape (as he did!) and take two mega beatings whilst winning on dqs. Bowe's speech and physicality seemed to take a real hit after the second fight....enough to send him completely out of world class into semi retirement.

Comment

Riddick Bowe

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post

Lewis fought and beat Tommy Morrision
          Bowe fought and beat Holyfield
          Foreman fought and beat Moorer

I think Bowe vs Lewis would have been the best fight at that time.

Ridduck Bowe would have won that in 95

Comment

Riddick Bowe.

Comment

actually lennox beat Morrison in 6, bowe fought holyfield 3 times & foreman became the oldest HW champion knocking out moorer in 10...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                In 1995 I'd probably favour Bowe to come out top. He'd have some pretty tough scraps enroute though!

As we know, Bowe had an interesting 1995 regardless. He stopped a pretty useful Herbie Hide, looked great against Gonzales and despite being a bit sluggish never-the-less knocked out an apparently ill Holyfield.

Lewis would be Bowe's stiffest test out of those named. But his confidence was a bit low after the McCall loss and he hadn't yet had time to reap the benefits of Steward's training.

Not that winning the tournament would help Bowe one bit. He'd still turn up for Golota in 1996 out of shape (as he did!) and take two mega beatings whilst winning on dqs. Bowe's speech and physicality seemed to take a real hit after the second fight....enough to send him completely out of world class into semi retirement.
                nice post Sugar. your correct about Bowe v Golota (2). IMO it was the most brutal heavyweight fight i can ever recall. it finished both guy's as fighters. Golota had a cut just above his chin which his teeth could be seen through. it's a fight i still enjoy watching from time to time.

Comment

Good spot by everyone on three being made, memory lapse sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    nice post Sugar. your correct about Bowe v Golota (2). IMO it was the most brutal heavyweight fight i can ever recall. it finished both guy's as fighters. Golota had a cut just above his chin which his teeth could be seen through. it's a fight i still enjoy watching from time to time.
                    Good to have you back! I do enjoy the Golota vs Bowe fights.....but I wince while watching them; particularly fight 2. Bowe's once great punch resistance had almost completely left him, he looked underweight, uncoordinated, shaky......but still had had his fighting heart!!

Comment

Working...
                    X