The number of empty seats at Rigo/Agbeko

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TylerLim View Post
    why is it always the opponents fault.

why cant rigo go on the offensive and throw a couple punches per round?

WE NEED AN OPPONENT TO JUST WALK FORWARD AND THROW PUNCHES THEN WE CAN DUCK WEAVE DODGE AND COUNTER = umm ok i see why rigo headlines shows

RIP = retire in peace RIGO

we will never see you on tv again

passive child sized boxer yawn
    Personally, I would enjoy watching Rigo be a little more aggressive. I know it's not his style, but I've seen him tear through guys before. He did it with Willie Casey. He took Willie out in the first round on his home turf. Guille may have regarded Agbeko as more of a threat and didn't want to risk getting caught with something big. I don't know. Whatever the reasons are, I think Rigo is unnecessarily allowing his image and career to suffer.

But I disagree with your assessment that Guille won't be seen on TV again. He's just too good, and he'll keep on winning. HBO supposedly didn't want to feature Rigo again after the Donaire fight (I don't know why. I thought it was a great fight.), but they gave him a date in AC. I hear that Showtime is happy to pick Guillermo up if HBO dumps him. He's not getting shut out. One way or another, "El Chacal" will be shown on TV, even if it's on an undercard.

Comment

I actually thought GR was semi-more assertive in this go round. No he wasn't going for broke or trying to get into a firefight but I agree with the HBO crew; fighters on the world level who are doing nothing but trying to survive to see the final bell are a bytch to get out of there.

Agbeko had zero intention of ever doing anything that would leave him wide open.

Comment

Agbeko didn't want to trade with Rigo, plain and simple. It was Agbeko who made the fight boring.

Apart from this and Donaire, most of Rigo's fight have been good to watch IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I actually thought GR was semi-more assertive in this go round. No he wasn't going for broke or trying to get into a firefight but I agree with the HBO crew; fighters on the world level who are doing nothing but trying to survive to see the final bell are a bytch to get out of there.

Agbeko had zero intention of ever doing anything that would leave him wide open.
          All true. Rigo probably would've put his lights out if he opened up. It's clear Agbeko feared that.

I don't want to sound like I'm faulting Guillermo, but I've seen him hold back before, as with Ramos. Poor Rico was scared to death, yet Rigo allowed him to survive into the sixth round.

I really don't get it. I regard "El Chacal" as an exceptional talent, but some guys just lose their nerve when they face him. Cordoba didn't, Marroquin didn't. Why Ramos and Agbeko?

In the end, I do believe Rigo will have to learn to press the action a little bit more. There will be those with the courage to challenge him, but there will be many more that will prove gun-shy. Guillermo has to do something about that, because the writing's on the wall...he'll get the blame.

Comment

I like rigo he's got skills man, he needs to leave TR they giving him agbeko 2 face after donair??? Agbeko made that fight garbage...I think rigo was more aggressive in this go round then he was with donaire...TR doing a terrible job with this guy, promoting and opponents suck

Comment

Originally posted by KO'er View Post
              Agbeko didn't want to trade with Rigo, plain and simple. It was Agbeko who made the fight boring.

Apart from this and Donaire, most of Rigo's fight have been good to watch IMO.
              This is an interesting comment. Did you watch the Cordoba fight? Bar none, Rigo's worst performance. He touched the canvass with his glove after a jab half-way through the fight and got on his bike for the remainder. He barely squeaked by with a split-decision in a fight that should've been a cakewalk. I'm sure many of the people that complain about Guillermo's style haven't seen that snoozer. If they did, they wouldn't call the Agbeko fight boring. lol

I thought the Donaire fight was excellent. Rigo never backed down and only fell into "control mode" after the fourth or fifth round, when he had amassed a clear lead. He was razor-sharp. By the final round, he had Donaire, a P4P opponent, literally running for his life. I didn't see anything to fault in that performance, Bob Arum be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                This is an interesting comment. Did you watch the Cordoba fight? Bar none, Rigo's worst performance. He touched the canvass with his glove after a jab half-way through the fight and got on his bike for the remainder. He barely squeaked by with a split-decision in a fight that should've been a cakewalk. I'm sure many of the people that complain about Guillermo's style haven't seen that snoozer. If they did, they wouldn't call the Agbeko fight boring. lol

I thought the Donaire fight was excellent. Rigo never backed down and only fell into "control mode" after the fourth or fifth round, when he had amassed a clear lead. He was razor-sharp. By the final round, he had Donaire, a P4P opponent, literally running for his life. I didn't see anything to fault in that performance, Bob Arum be damned.
                "That was baby pro Rigondeaux doe" God I love max Kellerman for that he is the biggest Rigotard. That aside Rigo keeps saying he keeps getting better at this and is trying and I agree he keeps evolving as a pro regardless of age.

Comment

Doesn't bother me and I doubt it bothers him. Its a 122 pound fight. These weight divisions don't headline let alone draw crowds.

Rigo made over $1 million this year, unified the division, won a legitimate championship (he's a champion not a title holder) and is on every major pound for pound list. All of this in 13 fights. There is no fighter that anyone would rather be right now 126 pounds and under than Guillermo Rigondeaux.

He left Cuba and is living a life he could only have dreamed of as an amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
                    "That was baby pro Rigondeaux doe" God I love max Kellerman for that he is the biggest Rigotard. That aside Rigo keeps saying he keeps getting better at this and is trying and I agree he keeps evolving as a pro regardless of age.
                    lol I agree. Rigo has evolved. Pretty impressive, when you consider how many damn amateur fights he had. He spent an entire career in the ams. I think the Cordoba fight was a big learning experience. I don't think he'll ever fall into that trap ever again. It was embarrassing, quite frankly.

To hear Guillermo say he keeps getting better, and knowing he means it, is very encouraging to me. Sadly, his pro career may be too short; but Rigondeaux may yet find his true professional potential. And that, my friend, would be very scary indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                      Doesn't bother me and I doubt it bothers him. Its a 122 pound fight. These weight divisions don't headline let alone draw crowds.

Rigo made over $1 million this year, unified the division, won a legitimate championship (he's a champion not a title holder) and is on every major pound for pound list. All of this in 13 fights. There is no fighter that anyone would rather be right now 126 pounds and under than Guillermo Rigondeaux.

He left Cuba and is living a life he could only have dreamed of as an amateur.
                      Amen, bro.

Comment

Working...
                      X