No announcement yet.

Weight class advice.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight class advice.

Hey guys new to the forum and very new to boxing. I have a question, I currently weigh 220 and I'm about 5'10". I have a good amount of muscle but need to lose some fat. The thing is I really don't think I could get down under 178, mabe around 185 but not 178. Is it gonna be possible for me to stand a chance boxing in heavyweight division? I know it's a long ways away but if I'm going to keep this up I want to do it to the fullest not just train super hard to get my ass whooped by someone with giraffe arms every time. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated thx. Btw I might even be 5'9" I'm not sure.

Get in top condition to fight, learn everything you can about techniques and then develop your methods!!! Styles are dictated at times because of circumstances but the bottum line is do you have the heart to fight, and win.
    "its not the size of the dog in the fight rather the size of the fight in the dog"

Ray Corso.

Comment

Fer sure bro thx for the advice I'm just going to train my ass of and see how it goes. I could drop some muscle (as I am in a calorie deficit anyways) if I stopped lifting for a while, but I really don't want to if I don't have to. Like I said I'll wait and see how it goes.

Comment

You have to lose weight not only fat but muscle mass if you have to much. Too much muscle will take away your endurance.
        And YES you will be at a disadvantage fighting at the weight class division.

Comment

The best weight class advice I would give to anyone would be to get yourself in good healthy shape with a fitness level that is sufficient to fight with, then see what weight you end up at and go from there.
          I really think it is best to fight at a weight that is naturally in accordance to your fighting fitness. I think it is best to fight at a weight that is natural to you. After all it is really obvious when you see a guy that is fighting in a weight division that isn't right for them.

I had a friend in the amateur ranks, he was tall and lean around 6'2 and was always fighting fit and ready at around 69/70kg. He had a fight offered to him but it meant he would have to gain weight, he got himself up to about 74kg but looked crap in comparison and he lost the fight. Fair enough this is a different example to what you are asking but it furthers my point that weight should be fought at comfortably, don't try to lose or gain to much to get where you want, fight where you should fight is what I am trying to say my man.

Comment

Working...
          X