Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Tarver belong with the ATG greats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh come on! First ballot baby! The guy beat Rocky Balboa!

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
      I agree with you about Tarver, but do you seriously think Hatton, Cotto and Gatti shouldn't be in the Hall? There are far less deserving people in there already.
      And far more deserving are still waiting to be put in.

The like of; Pone Kingpetch, Tiger Jones, Eddie Booker, Cocoa Kid, Ken Overlin and many others are still waiting.

Whilst the HOF continue to induct the likes of McGugian, Pastrano and Brian Mitchell.

To then add the likes of Hatton, Cotto and Gatti. Now people are arguing Tarver. Others arguing Glen Johnson and Diego Corales.

Who's next? Ivan Calderon? Antonio Margarito? Zab Judah? Sven Ottke?

I mean, when does it stop? When will second rate good but not great fighter's stop being inducted into the HOF when actual great fighters are still waiting?

Should Hatton get in on popularity? Sure.

Gatti for excitment? Sure.

Not sure what Cotto should get in for..

But, all three of them should not get in for what they achieved. Which ultimately is what the HOF is all about. Or supposed to be.

But for the record, those 3 fighters should get in if Tarver gets in. If Tarver gets in then I don't see how almost anyone can't get in.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

The like of; Pone Kingpetch, Tiger Jones, Eddie Booker, Cocoa Kid, Ken Overlin and many others are still waiting.

Whilst the HOF continue to induct the likes of McGugian, Pastrano and Brian Mitchell.

To then add the likes of Hatton, Cotto and Gatti. Now people are arguing Tarver. Others arguing Glen Johnson and Diego Corales.

I mean, when does it stop? When will second rate good but not great fighter's stop being inducted into the HOF when actual great fighters are still waiting?

But, all three of them should not get in for what they achieved. Which ultimately is what the HOF is all about. Or supposed to be.

But for the record, those 3 fighters should get in if Tarver gets in. If Tarver gets in then I don't see how almost anyone can't get in.
        This would be a good post if I wasn't 95% certain that you think Vitali Klitschko should get in.

Comment

Antonio Tarver is not a HOF'er.

Castillo, Hatton, Cotto, Corrales, Gatti and Hernandez getting in would be ridiculous.

But Tarver? That would just make the HOF close to worthless.

If Antonio Tarver were to get in the HOF it would be one of the most undeserving inductions in History.

Right up there with Barry McGuigan and Willie Pastrano.
          I think Castillo deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            This would be a good post if I wasn't 95% certain that you think Vitali Klitschko should get in.
            I think Vitali Klitschko is Boarderline.

I tend to change my mind on Vitali. Right now, I'm at Boardline, argubale.

I think Castillo deserves it.
            I think he is the most deserving out of all the names mentioned including Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto and Vitali Klitschko.

Comment

curiously, bro, how closely did you follow calderon's career?
              i had a rough go at following him because he wasn't always on television, and up until a few years ago finding a real stream was nearly impossible.
              basically i learned about him by reading and watching fights after they happened when i tracked them down.

he was a terrific little boxer at his best. he didn't even reach the top rope. he couldn't fluff a pillow if he had his gloves on. he had lots of skills. very much a pure boxer. he really was something.
              he lost to segura (in what was called the fight of the year by the ring, and then in a blowout rematch) when his legs were largely gone. (he was, after all, a 35 year old former minimumweight [up against a true monster at light fly.])

the guy was in about 20 title fights. he won his first world title a decade ago and was only dethroned recently. that is a very long run for a small man. they usually peak very early.
              he's a hall of famer according to the folks i've heard discuss him who have a vote. you need little guys in there too, and he's the best of his era at his weight (the guy was 5'0 and had 63 inches of reach. thats about as small as a healthy man can get.)

hatton and cotto are not viewed on the same rung as arturo gatti, bro. i'm sure you will agree.
              they were much better fighters.
              they did much more with their careers.
              they never lost to the class of guys arturo to which arturo lost.

gatti might be the most exciting fighter to ever put on gloves. he was the perfect storm in terms of a TV action fighter.
              that's why he's probably going to get in. after some serious time has passed.

i'm on the record around here saying that he wouldn't get my vote
              now that might change in 30 years when we don't have another gatti that comes through

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                curiously, bro, how closely did you follow calderon's career?
                i had a rough go at following him because he wasn't always on television, and up until a few years ago finding a real stream was nearly impossible.
                basically i learned about him by reading and watching fights after they happened when i tracked them down.

he was a terrific little boxer at his best. he didn't even reach the top rope. he couldn't fluff a pillow if he had his gloves on. he had lots of skills. very much a pure boxer. he really was something.
                he lost to segura (in what was called the fight of the year by the ring, and then in a blowout rematch) when his legs were largely gone. (he was, after all, a 35 year old former minimumweight [up against a true monster at light fly.])

the guy was in about 20 title fights. he won his first world title a decade ago and was only dethroned recently. that is a very long run for a small man. they usually peak very early.
                he's a hall of famer according to the folks i've heard discuss him who have a vote. you need little guys in there too, and he's the best of his era at his weight (the guy was 5'0 and had 63 inches of reach. thats about as small as a healthy man can get.)

hatton and cotto are not viewed on the same rung as arturo gatti, bro. i'm sure you will agree.
                they were much better fighters.
                they did much more with their careers.
                they never lost to the class of guys arturo to which arturo lost.

gatti might be the most exciting fighter to ever put on gloves. he was the perfect storm in terms of a TV action fighter.
                that's why he's probably going to get in. after some serious time has passed.

i'm on the record around here saying that he wouldn't get my vote
                now that might change in 30 years when we don't have another gatti that comes through
                I followed his career enough to know that he had a long reign of his title in which many of them were against Sub-Par opposition.

Skills aside, If Calderon is a HOF'er than anyone who can string a list of Title Defences should be. Including Sven Ottke and Johnny Nelson.

In terms of Hatton and Cotto, of course they are greater fighters than Gatti.

Comment

I think Vitali Klitschko is Boarderline.

I tend to change my mind on Vitali. Right now, I'm at Boardline, argubale.

I think he is the most deserving out of all the names mentioned including Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto and Vitali Klitschko.
                  If Vitali deserves to get in so does Ricky Hatton. He doesn't deserve tog et in and its not even arguable, his best win was against a flabby journeyman.

Comment

I followed his career enough to know that he had a long reign of his title in which many of them were against Sub-Par opposition.

Skills aside, [I][B]If Calderon is a HOF'er than anyone who can string a list of Title Defences should be. Including Sven Ottke and Johnny Nelson.

In terms of Hatton and Cotto, of course they are greater fighters than Gatti.

ok now i cant tell if you are being serious lol

the men faced and the means by which they faced them do not compare

he didn't fight sub par - opposition

he fought other guys his size that were contenders. its not like the WW division wehere you can duck good fighters in hopes of fighting lesser fighters for more money in a sound business move.

guys of that size aren't treated like guys in higher weights with greater potentials for earnings are treated. calderon wasn't coddled in a manner even remotely resembling ottke.

there really aren't any sven ottke's at the minimumweights
                    there's no money in it.

Comment

If Vitali deserves to get in so does Ricky Hatton. He doesn't deserve tog et in and its not even arguable, his best win was against a flabby journeyman.
                      Meh, he may not be but I do believe it's argubale. JMO.

Atleast he fought Top ranked fighters during his reign(s). Wladimir is the same, really. Just resume is much better than Vitali's but he doesn't have the best resume either but he is certainly a HOF'er.

The likes of Joe Calzaghe genuinely fought Top 5 2 ranked fighters during his reign and he will get in.

Then again I actually don't really think he deserves to get in all that much either

Comment

Working...
                      X