Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of your favorite fighters who never won championships

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former welterweight contender Armando Muniz. He was totally robbed out of a title against a washed up Napoles in Mexico.

Comment

I was quite fond of Floyd Mayweather Sr when he was a contender.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
        thinking Langford?
        Yeah and someone else said Charley Burley also who I believe held one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I was quite fond of Floyd Mayweather Sr when he was a contender.

floyd joy had "speed speed speed"

roger could punch too

talented lot, those mayweathers

and my favorite non-champions are some of the standard fare

briscoe
          burley
          tua
          quarry
          Last edited by New England; 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Micky Ward.

WBU was not, is not a legit title by any means. Sure it meant a lot to Micky and it was nice to see him get a strap, and then the big $$$ Gatti fights after that, but the fact is that Micky Ward (one of my all time faves) never won world championship, at least by my definition.

Hardly matters tho, Micky FOUGHT like a Champion, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              floyd joy had "speed speed speed"

roger could punch too

talented lot, those mayweathers

and my favorite non-champions are some of the standard fare

briscoe
              burley
              tua
              quarry
              Roger Mayweather is one of my favourite fighters to this day. I only started following Lil Floyd because I saw him on the undercard before he even won his first world title and said "This is Roger Mayweather's newphew? I'll check him out" at this time I was unaware he was a Olympic medalist or anything like that and presumed he wouldn't reach the level Roger did. Turns out that is not what happened

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
                Any fighters who never won a world championship or were just good fighters that you really liked? Just for one reason or another, you took a liking to them & followed their career?

I always liked Bernardo Mercardo, Oscar Bonavena & Eddie "Animal" Lopez. I'm Italian, Polish & Czeck, not a latin, but for whatever reason, I liked these guys.
                Met Mercardo at Larry Holmes training camp. He could bang!
                Bonavena, I liked him from when I watched the fights with Frazier. Tough, rugged & what a character! I almost cried when he got shot & killed at Conforte's whore house.
                Eddie Lopez impressed me when he fought Leon. He looked good against Tate also.

Mitch Green was another guy I really liked. Met him and he was pretty happy that someone showed an interest in him. We had three nice long talks over a 3 day period & he was nothing like he was when he was getting tazed on a street corner in NY by the police! Remember when he was being interviewed about Tyson & he flexed a bicep while at the same time saying that Tyson was a Ho-Mo! Pretty funny guy in his interviews.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Qzp...1B6BB42B052251
                I like Bonavena too and Yaqui Lopez. I think had they fought today, they'd both hold titles for quite long...if they were dedicated enough. Bonavena loved the night life, but he still was in shape in most of his fights. If not all. Yaqui too always looked fit and motivated, but cruiserweight was not a good division for him. He was at the end of his career however. Angel Manfredy is one other fighter that was talented and good to watch but never won a world title. Micky Ward too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                  I like Bonavena too and Yaqui Lopez. I think had they fought today, they'd both hold titles for quite long...if they were dedicated enough. Bonavena loved the night life, but he still was in shape in most of his fights. If not all. Yaqui too always looked fit and motivated, but cruiserweight was not a good division for him. He was at the end of his career however. Angel Manfredy is one other fighter that was talented and good to watch but never won a world title. Micky Ward too.

You really think that Bonavena would beat either of the Klitschko's? I wouldn't even pick him over Haye, Adamek, Chambers, or Povetkin. Bonavena had the wrong size and style to fight the top heavyweights of this era.

Comment

Augustus and Ward. I wouldnt have been as interested in boxing without them.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                      Sam Langford, Jerry Quarry, Tex Cobb, Ron Lyle.
                      Mad props. It seems like to me Sam Langford is the forgotten one. True legend of the game.

Comment

Working...
                      X