No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Yamanaka Edges Moreno By Split Nod, Retains Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
    You could also tell he was getting pissed off in the later rounds. Was throwing more wildly and getting more aggressive while Moreno was still making him miss pretty good.

Was Escandon/Cave this year too?

cuz this is up there right now
    Yeah that Tyson Cave got robbed. I forgot about that one.

Comment

I had it 116-112 for Moreno. I rarely think a fight was a robbery but this fight might just be one that I do. Ref also should have called a knockdown on Yamanaka in the 11th. One judge gave round 7 for Yamanaka which seems particularly baffling.

Comment

9-3 Moreno for me.

Worse case scenario 8-4.

If nothing else, Moreno exposed many of Yamanak's flaws. He really schooled him for the most part down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          9-3 Moreno for me.

Worse case scenario 8-4.

If nothing else, Moreno exposed many of Yamanak's flaws. He really schooled him for the most part down the stretch.
          I had it closer. 116-113 or 7-4-1. First five rounds were pretty close but Moreno went to work from 6-9. When he got zoned, a nice reminder that there just isn't a better pure boxer outside Floyd and Rigo right now. Thought he won the 11th too though I think the ref was right not to rule a KD. Looked like he slipped on the paint a **** before the shot. last round and a half was a lot of clinching. Final round, no one landed much so I can call that even.

Wouldn't call it a robbery because there were enough swing, bend over hometown rounds but Moreno looked the better. He didn't go to the body enough (something he used to do more of and did well here when he did). Yamanaka is a head hunter and he took that from him for long stretches.

Love to see a rematch. It was a really good fight and rounds nine and ten were a boon for both. Based on the styles, it was the high quality chess match you'd expect from the best two Bantams of the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
            I had it closer. 116-113 or 7-4-1. First five rounds were pretty close but Moreno went to work from 6-9. When he got zoned, a nice reminder that there just isn't a better pure boxer outside Floyd and Rigo right now. Thought he won the 11th too though I think the ref was right not to rule a KD. Looked like he slipped on the paint a **** before the shot. last round and a half was a lot of clinching. Final round, no one landed much so I can call that even.

Wouldn't call it a robbery because there were enough swing, bend over hometown rounds but Moreno looked the better. He didn't go to the body enough (something he used to do more of and did well here when he did). Yamanaka is a head hunter and he took that from him for long stretches.

Love to see a rematch. It was a really good fight and rounds nine and ten were a boon for both. Based on the styles, it was the high quality chess match you'd expect from the best two Bantams of the last few years.
            Can see that because the early rounds were close as was the last but I still think its a robbery. I can't justify a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
              I had it 116-112 for Moreno. I rarely think a fight was a robbery but this fight might just be one that I do. Ref also should have called a knockdown on Yamanaka in the 11th. One judge gave round 7 for Yamanaka which seems particularly baffling.
              That is the sort of thing that jumps out. When the clear rounds go the wrong way. Two of the three giving him the eleventh, or even one giving Yamanaka the first, also jump out.

Wouldn't call it a robbery but it was the wrong call.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Can see that because the early rounds were close as was the last but I still think its a robbery. I can't justify a draw.
                I can't either. I can just understand how someone might get there if they are seeing those lefts thrown and not seeing them miss from the narrow vantage judges have. Moreno didn't even get off to a slow start but he could have opened up more to be more decisive early.

Comment

I had it 119-108 Moreno.

In round 11, Moreno knock down Yamanaka with a jab.

My Yamanaka best scenario is 116-111 losing. I can't see a draw.

Comment

Yamanaka's lucky Moreno can't punch or his lights would have been put out in the 9th. I'm not sure how that wasn't a KD in the 11th, either.

The video Hougigo posted isn't great, so I don't feel that comfortable scoring the first 4 rounds, but worst case scenario Moreno only wins 1 one of them. After that it was really clear. I sure thought he won.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      Yamanaka's lucky Moreno can't punch or his lights would have been put out in the 9th. I'm not sure how that wasn't a KD in the 11th, either.

The video Hougigo posted isn't great, so I don't feel that comfortable scoring the first 4 rounds, but worst case scenario Moreno only wins 1 one of them. After that it was really clear. I sure thought he won.
                      I watched it back a couple times. Really does appear a slip before the shot.

I'll say this too. Moreno SHOULD have been farther ahead after nine but he knew he wasn't. He responded after four to the open scores. He let himself get clinched too much in the late 11th and 12th. Like to see how he'd play that out earlier in a rematch.

Comment

Working...
                      X