No announcement yet.

double cover as a defensive move

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double cover as a defensive move

I've noticed when I'm boxing and I get rushed by an opponent I'll put my head down and cover up as an instinctive reaction. it's only for a split second but its a problem. I realise I do it because my arms aren't long enough to protect both my head and body at the same time so I tuck my chin into my chest (more than usual) to make the target smaller. I can keep my eyes on an opponent if I keep my head at a normal level but that leaves my body as an open target.

in short, my question is. would it be better to use the double cover to protect my head so I can see the punches or cover the body and move my head?

jesus thinks u should move ur head

-JC

Comment

just try to stay relaxed, focused on the openings and like Macdaddy said: move your head, move your feet and get out of the bad position.

Comment

"Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline."

Just teach yourself to do it is what I'm saying. Have an alternative reaction, I used to have that problem now what I do is instinctively move to the side and throw a straight punch to the head, or if that isn't an option stand my ground and punch their body hard.

Comment

teach yourself to move ur head

use the slip bag religiously

get someone to throw punches at u and slip/weave/duck/dip/block/roll with half speed and then speed up once u get the hang of it

spar allot

Comment

learn how to "catch" punches..simply turn ur palm out and catch the punch...DO NOT swipe at it...also...ur arms dont have to b long nuff to block head/body...u bend at the knees to catch body shots...slight dip to side of punch being thrown even..always keep hands up

Comment

why woud u turn you palm out instead of just swapping it?

Comment

Originally posted by Be_kind_rewind View Post
                why woud u turn you palm out instead of just swapping it?
                say that you've been swatting an opponents jab, blocking them like a partial wax on wax off motion. First thing that I put in my mind is feint the jab, turn a hook and he'll eat it. A little later you pull it out and it works like a charm........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  say that you've been swatting an opponents jab, blocking them like a partial wax on wax off motion. First thing that I put in my mind is feint the jab, turn a hook and he'll eat it. A little later you pull it out and it works like a charm........Rockin'
                  thanks for expainen for me Rockin...u the man

Comment

If u gon swap a jab, make sure its a lazy jab..
                    and i sometimes swap (more of a push his jab to the left) the jab with my right hand and shoot my overhand right over his shoulder and pivot to my right, orthodox speaking
                    Last edited by chico 305; 09-06-2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X