Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Floyd Mayweather jr. vs. prime 'Battling' Nelson @ 135. Who takes it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    Rating Mayweather above Gans is a reach IMO. Gans is arguably the best ever lightweight. At least a top 3 all-time.

Mayweather might very well outclass Nelson as I said, but I cannot see him winning a fight to finish.

Holyfield might have a shot. If he was roided well
    im not talking all time standing, but actual skill level and ability, mayweather by a mile

nelson wouldnt last to the finish, he'd eat every shot floyd would throw and would be KO'd after 6-7 rounds

holyfield always has a shot lol

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
      im not talking all time standing, but actual skill level and ability, mayweather by a mile

nelson wouldnt last to the finish, he'd eat every shot floyd would throw and would be KO'd after 6-7 rounds

Go to Monte Cox's website my man... A very reputable and respected boxing historian... Read all the research articles written by him on Joe Gans... There's a lot of materials on Mr. Gans to be found there... Maybe you will be enlightened a bit about the boxer they call "The Old Master..."

Comment

Originally posted by klipsch speaker View Post
        Go to Monte Cox's website my man... A very reputable and respected boxing historian... Read all the research articles written by him on Joe Gans... There's a lot of materials on Mr. Gans to be found there... Maybe you will be enlightened a bit about the boxer they call "The Old Master..."

A lot of these fans think there was this huge disparity in skills. Truth is, there wasn't. Im not saying Floyd wasn't MORE skilled, but under the parameters given I have a hard time seeing Floyd win. Fact is he just isn't as durable as the fighters from that era. Gloves half the size, more rounds and much more dirty fighting being allowed and I think he's in over his head. He's never proven otherwise. How would he cope in the 23ed round with a hand he broke in the 6th and a fighter who won't stop coming? Hell, He struggled with Castillo for 12 rounds. Nelson isn't gonna let up and the fight is gonna keep going and going. Even if he's the more technical fighter the judges of the day are going to begrudge him for running instead of mixing it up. Its just how it is. Modern rules, we're talking a whole different ballgame.

And anybody who think fighters like Gans, Leonard, Dixon, Blackburn, Nelson, Walcott and many many others werren't highly skilled.......well, they just don't know what they're talking about. There is way to much proof for any objectevie fan to think otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

A lot of these fans think there was this huge disparity in skills. Truth is, there wasn't. Im not saying Floyd wasn't MORE skilled, but under the parameters given I have a hard time seeing Floyd win. Fact is he just isn't as durable as the fighters from that era. Gloves half the size, more rounds and much more dirty fighting being allowed and I think he's in over his head. He's never proven otherwise. How would he cope in the 23ed round with a hand he broke in the 6th and a fighter who won't stop coming? Hell, He struggled with Castillo for 12 rounds. Nelson isn't gonna let up and the fight is gonna keep going and going. Even if he's the more technical fighter the judges of the day are going to begrudge him for running instead of mixing it up. Its just how it is. Modern rules, we're talking a whole different ballgame.

And anybody who think fighters like Gans, Leonard, Dixon, Blackburn, Nelson, Walcott and many many others werren't highly skilled.......well, they just don't know what they're talking about. There is way to much proof for any objectevie fan to think otherwise.
          it wouldnt come to the point where his hand is broken in whatever round, floyd would knock any one of those guys out possibly on the same night, and im not joking

Comment

it wouldnt come to the point where his hand is broken in whatever round, floyd would knock any one of those guys out possibly on the same night, and im not joking
            The fact that you aren't joking is whats making me laugh. What exactly do you know about any of these fighters and their competition? How about the era's or circumstances they fought under? Its easy to claim one guy beats another when you don't have all the facts.

Lol, "on the same night". Bwaaahaaahaa!!

Comment

ever considered that oh, i dunno mayweather is 1 billion times better than gans?

gans had a good resume and was a smart fighter but good lord mayweather would obliterate both him and nelson on the same night
              no I do't think he considered that, neither did I.

Comment

Originally posted by klipsch speaker View Post
                Go to Monte Cox's website my man... A very reputable and respected boxing historian... Read all the research articles written by him on Joe Gans... There's a lot of materials on Mr. Gans to be found there...

** Indeed, tons of materials found on Gans besides Mr. Cox, all generally supportive that Gans was one of the elite fighters of any division.

Problem is as good a historian and author as Monte Cox is, sometimes the descriptions of older fighters have them walking on water, curing women of their vapours and men of their loutish induced gout. A bit over the top.

Pretty soft, tepid descriptions compared to modern Floydy fanboys that have him walking on money all while casting about morsels of money to slavish fans while designating winners as those chosen to lose to him and designating losers as those he can hardly be bothered to recognize.

Floydy is a turn of the century 3rd millennium 12 rd fighter, so the contrast in styles to the turn of the century 2nd millennium 40 rd fighter could not be more glaring. Under Nelson's rules, the fight favors him. However, the early going favors Floydy who could quite possibly pick a spot to KO Nelson, a risky proposition if it fails and leads to a busted hand for the next 35 rds.

Assuming that Floydy is intelligent enough to adapt his game to primitive wraps and flimsy gloves, not a given from what I've seen of him, quick light bursts could also be quite damaging. He doesn't fight at a strong enough pace to win rounds in this era however, so will have to KO Nelson to win, something highly unlikely after 15 rds or so.

Assuming Nelson is intelligent enough to know of Floydy's future prowess, not a given from what I read about him, all he need do is sort of lay back Willard style and concentrate on defense and sorting out Floyd's offensive arsenal before launching a late surge. Easier said than done for a battler like Nelson.

Hard to pick a winner, maybe Floydy early and Nelson late. Pretty much a given that the best fighter can be upset by a lessor, and these two likely to be rated closely in the lightweight division when Floydy actually does retire.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  There is way to much proof for any objective fan to think otherwise.
                  And that is the rub isn't it? Were aren't dealing with fans who are by any stretch of the imagination objective; or informed for that matter. I've come to the conclusion that most (not all) posters on Boxing Scene are utterly ignorant about boxing prior to their own time of becoming aware.

Poet

Comment

Attention! This is the Police! Remove your lips from Gayweather's penis and back away with your hands on top of your head!

Poet

Comment

This the same Battling Nelson that got hit upside the head with a bat like a thousand times (and yes, I do mean that literally)? Or was he hit with something else because I'm pretty sure he got whacked with something
                      Last edited by KnockoutTheFat; 04-03-2009, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X