No announcement yet.

Strengthening the wrists?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ylem122 View Post
    Dont know about making the wrists bigger but DynaFlex is really awesome for recovery it is a gyroscope that is off weight so you have to use your own strength to keep it kind of stable using your wrist. and perhaps if you exercise durring recovery the joint might get stronger? Im positive if you use it your wrists get stronger when i was rock climbing i would do things like only useing the very tips of my fingers or just thumb and 1 finger and boy would i feel a burn in my hand wrist and forearm veins popping out and what not. i really reccomend picking up one

the whole thing only weights like a pound but at like 9000 rpm its something like 25-30 pounds of resistance for your wrist but its still very low impact its really good for golf biking tennis rock climbing carpel tunnel boxing all kinds of things

http://www.dynaflexpro.com/
    Yeah I have just ordered a powerball signature pro from Amazon. It looks pretty good and has an rpm counter on the top. Hopefully it will strengthen my Mallignaggi hands lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ylem122 View Post
      Dont know about making the wrists bigger but DynaFlex is really awesome for recovery it is a gyroscope that is off weight so you have to use your own strength to keep it kind of stable using your wrist. and perhaps if you exercise durring recovery the joint might get stronger? Im positive if you use it your wrists get stronger when i was rock climbing i would do things like only useing the very tips of my fingers or just thumb and 1 finger and boy would i feel a burn in my hand wrist and forearm veins popping out and what not. i really reccomend picking up one

the whole thing only weights like a pound but at like 9000 rpm its something like 25-30 pounds of resistance for your wrist but its still very low impact its really good for golf biking tennis rock climbing carpel tunnel boxing all kinds of things

http://www.dynaflexpro.com/
      dynaflex, when i read this i thought it sounded like a powerball and it is the same thing, so many things are copying nsd powerball.

but yeah this man has a point these things do help my right forearm is a lot bigger than my left and its the same size as my bicep

Comment

Originally posted by timba1988 View Post
        Yeah I have just ordered a powerball signature pro from Amazon. It looks pretty good and has an rpm counter on the top. Hopefully it will strengthen my Mallignaggi hands lol.
        haha good man you got a powerball

i had one but sorta threw it at a wall by accident and it broke but then i bought two more, there amazing, you dont realise it works but after you have used it quite a lot you can tell

Comment

Originally posted by LDB15 View Post
          haha good man you got a powerball

i had one but sorta threw it at a wall by accident and it broke but then i bought two more, there amazing, you dont realise it works but after you have used it quite a lot you can tell
          Cool man lol.

What benefits will it give me in boxing terms? Obviously my wrists need strengthening, but will it be beneficial to my shoulders, forearms?

Comment

Originally posted by timba1988 View Post
            Well I have Mallignaggi hands and wrists. It seems like I get injured everytime I hit the heavy bag. Although I haven't always used the proper protection and support when doing so.

My question is, can anybody recommend any weight exercises I can do which would increase the size of my wrists, thus supporting the joints a bit more in that area?
            Do wrist curl...back and front 3x50 reps

Comment

Boxing benifits? well you can make this thing spin in 4 diffrent ways and the first way is by mimicing wrist curls. next is by just turning your fore arm like going from palm up to palm down. third is by combining the 2 before and you get a circualr motion which is how most people will use this when they first pick it up. and 4th is hard ummmmmmm have your palm facing inside (like right hand palm facing the left arm) not down or up. now take hold of the Gyro thing and just shift your hand up and down like you might swing a sword up and down when only using your wrist.

not sure how help full these are for boxing but if you do the second way when you just turn your forearm up and down it isolates the brachi or what ever it is that helps you rotate your arm when you jab which is kind of help full.

if you want more of a full upper body work out check out the Dyna max core trainer 2 for 300$ currently saving up for it my self it weighs 3 lbs but at 8000 rpm its like your whole body is wrestling with a 200 lb person though i dont imagine this will have the same impact on your wrists as the dynaflex but i think it will do wonders for your shoulders arms chest back and abs

Comment

First things first - are you warming your wrists up poperly (wrist circles clockwise / anticlockwise) & wrapping your hands (wrists) properly before hitting the bag. A lot of minor injuries come from being lazy about warming up. Wrapping is critical to support your wrists.

Then I reckon you've got some good suggestions above.
                * press ups on your finger tips / fists will defn help
                * wrist curls and reverse curls a big help
                * PLUS - wrist rolls very good - do a search on wikipedia and you'll find info on this but basically you get a stick/bar, tie one end of a 3ft piece of rope to the middle of the stick, the other end to a small weight. Then hold the stick out in front of you like a pair of bike handle bars and 'roll' the stick forward pulling the rope up and lifting the weight. Lower and repeat.

Put it all together & should make a big difference, work up to it though, and don't forget to warm up

good luck

Comment

winding weight is a very old exercise. it has its value. u have to make sure to hold the bar at shoulder height so as to train the shoulder's endurance at same time.

do handstands, on fists perhaps. they help make your forearms and wrists like tree trunks.

and climbing rope is another overlooked training method.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by PunchBags View Post
                    First things first - are you warming your wrists up poperly (wrist circles clockwise / anticlockwise) & wrapping your hands (wrists) properly before hitting the bag. A lot of minor injuries come from being lazy about warming up. Wrapping is critical to support your wrists.

Then I reckon you've got some good suggestions above.
                    * press ups on your finger tips / fists will defn help
                    * wrist curls and reverse curls a big help
                    * PLUS - wrist rolls very good - do a search on wikipedia and you'll find info on this but basically you get a stick/bar, tie one end of a 3ft piece of rope to the middle of the stick, the other end to a small weight. Then hold the stick out in front of you like a pair of bike handle bars and 'roll' the stick forward pulling the rope up and lifting the weight. Lower and repeat.

Put it all together & should make a big difference, work up to it though, and don't forget to warm up

good luck
                    i dont wrap i never get injuries, powerball and wanking

Comment

Hey Paulie lol

i have the same problem my wrists are skinny which when i lift weight or put some sort of pressure on them they can get damaged.

It sounds simple but what i have done is attach a liftable weight to rope on to a barbell which i then roll up which works the wrist. Its hard to explain but it definently works your arms.

If you can make your forearms stronger this can help.
                      Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X