No announcement yet.

a case for Mayweather comparing to SRL

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a case for Mayweather comparing to SRL

A lot of people say you cant compare Mayweather to SRL and other all time greats because he ducked certain fights, he retired so he didnt have to fight certain people, doesnt hit hard enough. etc etc. Now lets really think about that honestly.

1-SRL blatantly ducked one of the greatest fighters of his era Aron Pryor.
    I watched a video of a press confrence held by SRL where Pryor literally
    begged for a fight that no one can deny he deserved and SRL looked
    right at him and said no I'm not fighting you. If Pacman would have walked
    into a Mayweather press confrence, begged him to fight and Mayweather
    said no he would be considerd the biggest chicken **** in boxing
    history,SRL is not.

2-People say Mayweather retired so he didnt have to fight certain people.
    That just happens to be exactly what SRL did. At the height of Marvin
    Hagglers career when the whole world was asking for SRL vs Haggler
    SRL held a press confrence where everyone thought he was announcing
    the Haggler fight. Instead he announced his retirement.People complain
    about the May Pac fight not happening for 2 years. SRL vs Haggler ended
    up happening after 6 years and no one considers SRL a chicken ****.
    if want to be real SRL vs Hearns took a couple of years to happen also
    but who's counting.

Point is SRL did things that Floyd gets killed in the media for.
    My question is can Mayweather really stack up to the greats when it's
    all said and done ? i dont know .

what does the forum think i want to know.

Oh get over it.

Leonard offered Pryor a career high 500k purse to fight him, Pryor refused. Couple that with the fact they were actually in different weight classes. Even if Leonard never fought Pryor he fought Hearns, Duran and Benitez who were better.

As for the Hagler fight, Leonard had no obligation to move up a weightclass and face Hagler and he retired with a detatched retina which is a very legitimate reason.

The only reason Leonard vs Hearns took so long to materialize as they wanted it to be a super-fight. They would wait until they were both stars of boxing and it was a huge grossing event.

That's what happened. Dundee and Steward had it all worked out if I remember rightly.
    Last edited by Barn; 03-02-2012, 04:54 AM.

Comment

and ray fought duran, hearns and benitez during their prime... just how ballsy was that? its one of the best bragging rights in boxing if u ask me...

but as a jerk at negotiations, making foes do some compromises (just look at the lalonde fight) ray was just as narcisistic as PBF...

Comment

Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
        A lot of people say you cant compare Mayweather to SRL and other all time greats because he ducked certain fights, he retired so he didnt have to fight certain people, doesnt hit hard enough. etc etc. Now lets really think about that honestly.

history,SRL is not.

but who's counting.

You show just how little of history you know by claiming Leonard ducked Pryor.

Comment

Lol this is beyond stupid. Ray did end up fighting every top WW in his division though, Floyd only need to fight ONE and he can't do that even. Pacquiao is overhyped that is very true, but it dont erase the fact Floyd is a cherry picking coward. Even if there was a PRIME trinidad in today's division Floyd would have ducked him, a Prime Hears. Sugar Ray lol in today's division Money May woulda just stayed Lil Floyd at 140 or some ****.

Comment

The only cases of more blatant ducking then what Floyd is doing that I seen in boxing during the modern era is both Bowe and Tyson ducking PBL. That's probably worse though because PBL had to sue Bowe and Tyson both and still didn't get fights with either. Bowe was no coward and was instructed by Rock to throw his belt away because Rock knew PBL woulda taken Bowe apart and ended his gravy train. Tyson was a different matter, Iron Mike if he really wanted any PART of PBL during the mid 90's could have forced a fight. PBL was the most avoided ****ing HW in the history of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by polarcub View Post
              The only cases of more blatant ducking then what Floyd is doing that I seen in boxing during the modern era is both Bowe and Tyson ducking PBL. That's probably worse though because PBL had to sue Bowe and Tyson both and still didn't get fights with either. Bowe was no coward and was instructed by Rock to throw his belt away because Rock knew PBL woulda taken Bowe apart and ended his gravy train. Tyson was a different matter, Iron Mike if he really wanted any PART of PBL during the mid 90's could have forced a fight. PBL was the most avoided ****ing HW in the history of the sport.
              Fcuk off. Tyson wanted lennox in his prime. Instead of turning pro and building himself up, lennox chose to stay as an amateur for another 4 years and wait for Tyson to be done.
              Last edited by kiDynamite92; 03-02-2012, 06:17 AM.

Comment

history,SRL is not.

but who's counting.

Your first point is dead wrong. Leonard didn't duck Pryor. Your second point leaves out something rather important, which was that Leonard had an eye problem that forced him to retire.

Not to mention Leonard's wins are infinitely greater than Floyd's.

Comment

Leonard's win over Hearns and Duran IMO are bigger than any victory Floyd has on his resume. That's not hating either, it just is what it is (in relation to when Leonard also fought them). If one can find me 2 fighters that Floyd has faced that match either of those 2, be my guest.

Comment

history,SRL is not.

but who's counting.

Leonard ducked Pryor and fought Hagler. who I guess was an easier outr. um ok.

And Hearns, and Duran, and a host of other killers.

Mayweather can stack up, depending on how much time he has left.
                    It would be cool if he went to 160 and won a title there like Leonard did.

Comment

Working...
                    X