No announcement yet.

Improving Coordination

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Coordination

Just wondering, what is the best way(s) for a right handed boxer to improve his left hand coordination so he can fight in a southpaw stance?

I know Cotto is a natural lefty, but fights orthodox (several other fighters have switched too, e.g. Winky, ODLH). I was wondering how he built up the power of his straight right?

Is it just repetition on the bag, or are there specific exercises to improve the coordination/dexterity/power of your weaker hand?

If you want to be good at something...do it. Do everything in the southpaw stance. Juggling doesnt hurt either.

Comment

Okay...is there anything punching specific? I've started doing things with my left hand with is going to help, but is there anything that will help the punching power/coordination besides extra punching? Something that I could be doing often?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
        Okay...is there anything punching specific? I've started doing things with my left hand with is going to help, but is there anything that will help the punching power/coordination besides extra punching? Something that I could be doing often?
        I am not sure myself... but the other guy did say juggling, so maybe giving that a try in your own time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
          I am not sure myself... but the other guy did say juggling, so maybe giving that a try in your own time.
          Yeah I'll give that a try, can't really juggle with either hand at the moment lol!

I'm right handed and I'm going to try boxing in a southpaw stance. My jab and hook feel so much stronger/accurate. I'm much more comfortable moving around as well. The only problem is, my left cross isn't very strong at the mo.

Lots of practice I think. It worked pretty well for Cotto/Hagler!

Comment

spar spar spar

Comment

i do.. i can do it..

u just spar always like that and u gonna see!!

like he say spar spar spar

adrewcuff u are amateure or Pro?

Comment

Originally posted by jowiesicario View Post
                i do.. i can do it..

u just spar always like that and u gonna see!!

like he say spar spar spar

adrewcuff u are amateure or Pro?
                Amateur. I know sparring is gonna be really helpful, but I was wondering if there's another way to practice outside of the gym? Cheers

Comment

Do your double end bag work on both hands singley ... maybe do 2 more on the hand you want to iumprove on in the stance that your trying to learn. and when I say work I mean the full array of punches... that way you can simulate the other stance. |Also do this on the body bag. it will really help make you more comfortable.

after doing that with the stance you wanna learn for a while then start adding in slipping.. someone should help you with this.

Thats how you could get better... But my honest opinion is learn your stance and increase as far as possible doing it that way.. switching every now and then (not so often). If you train to perfection you will be near your bodies limit.. *(which still won't be perfect)* but it will allow you to learn faster the opposite way.

Understand all that?

Comment

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
                    Do your double end bag work on both hands singley ... maybe do 2 more on the hand you want to iumprove on in the stance that your trying to learn. and when I say work I mean the full array of punches... that way you can simulate the other stance. |Also do this on the body bag. it will really help make you more comfortable.

after doing that with the stance you wanna learn for a while then start adding in slipping.. someone should help you with this.

Thats how you could get better... But my honest opinion is learn your stance and increase as far as possible doing it that way.. switching every now and then (not so often). If you train to perfection you will be near your bodies limit.. *(which still won't be perfect)* but it will allow you to learn faster the opposite way.

Understand all that?
                    Yeah thanks thats helpful.

I want to fight in the southpaw stance full time though. Apart from my left hand, everything else feels much more comfortable. The jab is stiffer, faster and more accurate; my hooks/uppercuts are stronger and more explosive; even my footwork feels better.

The only problem is the straight left. Its hard to explain: it just doesn't feel "right". It doesn't feel powerful at all, quite sluggish and there's no snap.

I'll be working a lot on the heavy bag in southpaw, I'm starting to use my left hand for everyday things and I'm practising my technique punching with resistance bands.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                    X