Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roger Mayweather, an unbiased outlook and question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Mayweather, an unbiased outlook and question.

We all know about the bad times of Roger Mayweather, yeah we know he got knocked out by Rocky Lockridge, stopped by Julio Cesar Chavez twice, and although managing to knock down Pernell Whitaker still got soundly beaten by wide Unanimous decision and took some loss’s to lesser fighters on the way.

But do people tend to forget what he did do? After all, he was the Lineal Champion at 130, with 2 title defences and was ranked in or around the top 5 at 130 for four years running, beating top 10 fighters such as Jorge Alvardo, Kenny Baysmore and Lineal Champion (although past prime) Samuel Serrano. After a poor spell at 135 went on to win a World Title at 140 with 4 title defences and was ranked in the top 5 at 140 for two years running beating top 5 ranked fighters such as Rene Arredono, Terrence Ali and former world champion at 140 Vinny Pazienza. Roger Mayweather was a two weight world champion combining a total of 6 successful title defences and 6 years in the top 5 across 2 weight classes, finishing his career with a total of 59 wins (35 KO’s) and 13 loss’s. (He also won other titles such as the IBO Light Welterweight title and the IBO Welterweight Title).

Now Roger Mayweather was not ‘great’ by any means, but from an unbiased view I pose the question, is he a little underrated? Do people not give him the credit he deserves? Or are they right not to?

Also, do you think he should be considered for the Hall Of Fame for his boxing career combined with being the head trainer of a HOF’er for close to a decade? And if he were to, would he deserve it?

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    We all know about the bad times of Roger Mayweather, yeah we know he got knocked out by Rocky Lockridge, stopped by Julio Cesar Chavez twice, and although managing to knock down Pernell Whitaker still got soundly beaten by wide Unanimous decision and took some loss’s to lesser fighters on the way.

But do people tend to forget what he did do? After all, he was the Lineal Champion at 130, with 2 title defences and was ranked in or around the top 5 at 130 for four years running, beating top 10 fighters such as Jorge Alvardo, Kenny Baysmore and Lineal Champion (although past prime) Samuel Serrano. After a poor spell at 135 went on to win a World Title at 140 with 4 title defences and was ranked in the top 5 at 140 for two years running beating top 5 ranked fighters such as Rene Arredono, Terrence Ali and former world champion at 140 Vinny Pazienza. Roger Mayweather was a two weight world champion combining a total of 6 successful title defences and 6 years in the top 5 across 2 weight classes, finishing his career with a total of 59 wins (35 KO’s) and 13 loss’s. (He also won other titles such as the IBO Light Welterweight title and the IBO Welterweight Title).

Now Roger Mayweather was not ‘great’ by any means, but from an unbiased view I pose the question, is he a little underrated? Do people not give him the credit he deserves? Or are they right not to?

Also, do you think he should be considered for the Hall Of Fame for his boxing career combined with being the head trainer of a HOF’er for close to a decade? And if he were to, would he deserve it?
    This is a good thread I've been thinkin about his ranking for quite some time, and hes definately underrated. He got a considerable amount done for a guy who aparrently never took boxing seriously and hardly trained, very physically gifted, a big puncher and had great skills, it was seems that it was his attitude that was appauling. Unlike most people I'm a big fan of Roger Mayweather as both a fighter and trainer(hes hugely underrated here) and I actually like his personality, he reminds me of many of my older family members.

Comment

Roger Mayweather is pretty underrated in my book.

He never gets recognized the way he should be.

And imo he should be a hof'er.

If he had the dedication to boxing and training that his nephew has then he could have been a great fighter.

Comment

Rocky Lockridge was an awesome fighter. No shame in being KO'd by him.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
          Rocky Lockridge was an awesome fighter. No shame in being KO'd by him.
          Of course he was, that's not what this threads about. What I'm getting at is people only really remember his fighting career for his loss's when he was at the top as opposed to the things he actually achieved, thus leading to the posing questions.

Comment

Roger was an excellent fighter and yes, he is underrated now. A lot of that has to do with him being known more as Floyd's trainer, and his outstanding career not comparing all that well with his nephew.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Roger was an excellent fighter and yes, he is underrated now. A lot of that has to do with him being known more as Floyd's trainer, and his outstanding career not comparing all that well with his nephew.
              Yeah the fact he's Floyd's trainer i believe is the reason for this i agree, thats why i ask for an unbiased view although i know how difficult that is since he's Floyd's trainer. But even then, he is known today obviously because of Floyd, but even then people just seem to underrate him to me, maybe its just the state of the boxing community this day and age lol

Comment

Was Roger effected by any outside problems that distracted him from performing his best, or have I mistaken ? I also believe he is underrated both as a fighter and trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by bg0 View Post
                  Was Roger effected by any outside problems that distracted him from performing his best, or have I mistaken ? I also believe he is underrated both as a fighter and trainer.
                  Nothing that I heard of. His biggest problem seemed like his chin wasn't as good as his skills.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up

Comment

Working...
                    X