No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene Awards: 2013 Event Of the Year - 'The One'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BoxingScene Awards: 2013 Event Of the Year - 'The One'

By Jake Donovan - The biggest fight that could be made was made, when Floyd Mayweather and Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez agreed to terms to square off on September 14, 2013.

Their fight itself racked up enough dough to easily qualify as the year’s biggest event – but the months-long announcements and festivities leading up to fight night almost made the actual bout an afterthought.

It was dubbed “The One”, a fitting title for a number of reasons. As it relates to awards season, it was the only one to receive first place votes by any of the Boxingscene.com staff members, making it a runaway choice for Event of the Year. [Click Here To Read More]

Easily the best event of the year and a hell of atmosphere to be apart of from the Thursday card,weigh-in to the actual fights.

Comment

Great article, Jake.

2013 was an outstanding year for the sweet science.

Comment

The build-up to The One was absolutely fantastic, no doubt. It just seems the main event was pretty lacklustre...Floyd doing his own usual thing with his opponent bringing no excitement...isn't Floyd's fault. The best Floyd fights are the ones where the opponent brings a bit of mouth and excitement in the ring

Can't fault the choice for Event of the Year though, fight and event are much different

Comment

Canelo Alvarez really did pull the fans in this year. 40,000 at the Alamodome, 20,000 in Vegas and 32,000+ on tour.

No wonder it's rumoured Floyd wants him on his undercard again.

Comment

One of THE worst fights I have ever seen but the event itself was BIG. People from a particular background were dying for tickets and it got decent media coverage here in the UK. Add to that a good undercard fight between Garcia v Matthysse and I can't argue with the award.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              One of THE worst fights I have ever seen but the event itself was BIG. People from a particular background were dying for tickets and it got decent media coverage here in the UK. Add to that a good undercard fight between Garcia v Matthysse and I can't argue with the award.
              and who was this

Comment

2013 was a great year all around. Hoping that 2014 is even better.

Comment

GBP did a hell of a job getting the suckas to buy into the Canelo hype.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                    Canelo Alvarez really did pull the fans in this year. 40,000 at the Alamodome, 20,000 in Vegas and 32,000+ on tour.
                    We'll see how well his star power is holding up when he headlines his own ppv next year. Getting dominated in the ring by Floyd might hurt his box office.

Comment

Working...
                    X