Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robinson vs. Jones: Who's better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If by Robinson vs Jones you mean Sugar Ray vs Roy, Jr., let me put it this way: it's an insult to the greatest fighter ever (Robinson) to be mentioned in the same sentence with Roy Jones, Jr.

Comment

its not an insult to compare their skill, not at all. the problem is roy past his prime couldnt win a single legit fight (trinidad not withstanding) whereas robinson gained a sense of likeability when he was clearly passed it, jones jr never will have that.

Comment

He was a bit more than "a sense of likeability"! Is likeability a word?
        Sugar fought top ten fighters his entire career, he often did "road tours" like in the days of barnstorming so that a local fighter takes a shot at a great fighter or he would have had to fight LaMotta 45 times!!
        Sugar was fighting guys like Pender and loosing some tuff decs. to very good fighters that weren't in school when he was the champ!! He went to Hawaii to fight Harrington to help promote boxing on the island and fighting Stan was NO Picinic, I think Stan decs Sugar twice at that time in his career. A few years prior Stan doesn't beat Sugar at anything even if he was tuff as nails.
        Young Roy had the tools but old Roy was only there for the check he conceded the lost and accepted the pay out! Its not a big deal because every fighter picks up the pennies when theres only pennies left, not every guy has a great personality and some how the leaches get all of them. If they were all smarter than the next guy they probably wouldn't have been pro boxers! Personally the vast majority I've known and met are some of the kindest most genuine people in the world! No one wants to see Roy in the ring anymore, I'd like to see him put more time in commentating and trying to do better and better on the broacasts. Where as Sugar without boxing was lost he didn't do well being out the ring, it was his domain!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          He was a bit more than "a sense of likeability"! Is likeability a word?
          Sugar fought top ten fighters his entire career, he often did "road tours" like in the days of barnstorming so that a local fighter takes a shot at a great fighter or he would have had to fight LaMotta 45 times!!
          Sugar was fighting guys like Pender and loosing some tuff decs. to very good fighters that weren't in school when he was the champ!! He went to Hawaii to fight Harrington to help promote boxing on the island and fighting Stan was NO Picinic, I think Stan decs Sugar twice at that time in his career. A few years prior Stan doesn't beat Sugar at anything even if he was tuff as nails.
          Young Roy had the tools but old Roy was only there for the check he conceded the lost and accepted the pay out! Its not a big deal because every fighter picks up the pennies when theres only pennies left, not every guy has a great personality and some how the leaches get all of them. If they were all smarter than the next guy they probably wouldn't have been pro boxers! Personally the vast majority I've known and met are some of the kindest most genuine people in the world! No one wants to see Roy in the ring anymore, I'd like to see him put more time in commentating and trying to do better and better on the broacasts. Where as Sugar without boxing was lost he didn't do well being out the ring, it was his domain!! Ray.
          i am aware of this, for the sake of discussion i brought up the fact that jones jr fought horribly past his prime and never gained any sense of redemption from his critics like ray robinson, im aware that jones jrs resume is **** compared to robinson but looking at things in retrospect of there careers is what iw as focusing on

Comment

Speed, power, movement, size = Roy

Legacy = SRR

Comment

Robinson obviously. Jones however was more athletically gifted, probably the most athletically gifted fighter ever, which is what made him an exceptional fighter and covered up his skill flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post

Legacy = SRR
                jones was a much bigger guy and probably hit harder outright on those grounds, but he was nowhere near the puncher that robinson was p4p

robinson was a brutal puncher with either hand. brutal. he could knock a middleweight out with one punch, and he threw them often and in fast combinations. his left hook was about as good as has ever been thrown.

at WW he would obviously be much more potent. he's not well filmed at WW, but virtually all of his big fights at MW are filmed.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post

Legacy = SRR

well Robinson is 5'11 some say 6 ft.

I've seen Jones Listed at 5-10 to 5-11.

If Robinson had the means to bulk up like Jones did, he'd be the same size or bigger.

Jones has better speed and movement, since thats all he worked on most of the time. His power was mostly from his speed, so I wouldn't say he hits harder.

You are missing other intangibles, Robinson was a champion, endless stamina, incredible chin and heart. Theres a reason why Robinson has so much success. Back in the day times were much harder and this reflected on Ray Robinson.

When you are bridging eras you have to take into account other factors. Some fighters from back in the day could take your best shot and keep coming all night long. Nowadays its a rarity but Margarito brought it back for a bit.

I think it would be a good fight at MW, But SRRs prime was WW.

Comment

no contest at all robinson all the way , his opposition alone is far far better.

Comment

I'd take Robinson. The dude figured out opponents after a round with him. Imagine if he had time to study RJJ's traps etc. He would bait the bait and punish RJJ. SRR was brilliant, powerful, tough, and had stamina for days.

That doesn't mean RJJ isn't good, athletically he's got it. His game was never, and will never be as complete as SRR's.

Comment

Working...
                      X