No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene.com's 2013 Fight of The Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BoxingScene.com's 2013 Fight of The Year

By Jake Donovan - In a year many are hailing as the best in recent – and even distant – memory, it’s quite the honor for any fight to stand out as the best of the field.

Except that no single fight – no matter how great – stood out above the rest.

A single late tiebreaking vote was the difference in selecting Boxingscene.com’s top pick for 2013 Fight of the Year. The truth is that no matter which fight was picked, observers would view the winner and collectively reply, “Oh yeah, what a great fight.”

There have already been two ties in this year’s awards, but for this category a single bout barely stands alone. With that we present… [Click Here To Read More]

I thought Segura Marquez was pretty one sided. Marquez landed plenty, but Segura wasn't really phased and didnt lose many rounds

Comment

Most Predictable Match Of The Year

Pacquiao vs Rios

Comment

I agree with this selection, that Ruslan vs. Tim fight was my favorite fight, it was so action packed, and also quite surprising. I definitely became a bigger fan of both fighters after that night.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
          By Jake Donovan - In a year many are hailing as the best in recent – and even distant – memory, it’s quite the honor for any fight to stand out as the best of the field.

Except that no single fight – no matter how great – stood out above the rest.

A single late tiebreaking vote was the difference in selecting Boxingscene.com’s top pick for 2013 Fight of the Year. The truth is that no matter which fight was picked, observers would view the winner and collectively reply, “Oh yeah, what a great fight.”

There have already been two ties in this year’s awards, but for this category a single bout barely stands alone. With that we present… [Click Here To Read More]

I just watched this fight last night I like both guys Bradly a beast ...in a fan now he had all the right attributes...if he fights manny like that he would of killed them I thought manny won or draw but it was much closer when you turn down ghost punches announcers were calling ...I truly think brad can give floyd best run and could win MAYBE

Comment

Arakawa vs Figuera for me.

Bradley & Ruslan was very lacklustre for long stretches with Bradley outboxing Ruslan. Great opening, great ending but off memory rounds say 3-11 was nothing special.

Comment

Somehow, the Bradley/Provodnikov fight did not inspire me to give Bradley mad props. He was knocked down in the first round, yet the ref refused to call it a knockdown; he called it a slip. Bradley got up, fell down again, and stumbled into the ropes on his second attempt to stand up. He was clearly badly hurt. Other refs would have ruled him KO'd. Trevor Burbick did a similar dance when Mike Tyson dropped him, and was ruled KO'd. As if that weren't enough, Bradley was hurt several times throughout the fight, was out on his feet, and knocked down in the twelfth round. Yet he wins a unanimous decision? It was a great fight, but it should get the BS decision of the year award.

Comment

As long as I've been reading BoxingScene, I don't think I've ever agreed with their #1 FOTY candidate. They're always so predictable and 'safe'. Bradley-Provodnikov had some stretches without much action at all, whereas Figueroa-Arakawa was the kind of non-stop savage brutality of which Gatti and Ward would be proud.

2008: Adamek-Cunningham
                2009: Maidana-Ortiz
                2010: Soto-Antillon
                2011: Ortiz-Berto
                2012: Rios-Alvardo
                2013: Figueroa-Arakawa

Maybe 2014 will break the streak.
                Last edited by PittyPat; 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                  Somehow, the Bradley/Provodnikov fight did not inspire me to give Bradley mad props. He was knocked down in the first round, yet the ref refused to call it a knockdown; he called it a slip. Bradley got up, fell down again, and stumbled into the ropes on his second attempt to stand up. He was clearly badly hurt. Other refs would have ruled him KO'd. Trevor Burbick did a similar dance when Mike Tyson dropped him, and was ruled KO'd. As if that weren't enough, Bradley was hurt several times throughout the fight, was out on his feet, and knocked down in the twelfth round. Yet he wins a unanimous decision? It was a great fight, but it should get the BS decision of the year award.
                  I also believe the decision on the Bradley-Provodnikov fight didn't reward the real winner. Regarding the action, I believe that Marquez-Segura was better and it should have won this year award. One think for sure is that Provo is a very exciting fighter and he will be competing for this award this year.

Comment

Nice list JD. I think you have the general order of fights correct.

Comment

Working...
                    X