Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chavez-Martinez thoughts and prediction. (Mismatch)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chavez-Martinez thoughts and prediction. (Mismatch)

Well. I very rarely use this word, unless I feel it's necessary. This fight, IMO, is a mismatch. I like Chavez Jr. I really do. I think he's improved too, over the years. BUT, size advantage or no, size advantage, this is a mismatch, IMO. Based on styles, Chavez is chronically outgunned IMO. Yes, he's strong, is a good body puncher, and takes a decent shot. But, the foot and hand speed advantage Martinez has, is astronomical.

Martinez is also very awkward with his herky jerky lateral movement and angles, and his constant movement. Chavez is a solid fighter, he really is. But he is not going to be able to plow forward onto Sergio, like he's been able to against guys like Lee and Rubio. Yes, Lee was a southpaw who boxed. But, Lee is a much stiffer, straight up and down "Kronk" style of fighter, who doesn't use the same kind of movement and angles Martinez utilizes. And, is nowhere close to as fast as Martinez with his footwork.

I literally, just do not see how Chavez is going to be able to find Martinez, he's just going to be plodding forward looking to get inside and get his body punches off on a very elusive target (who's even more elusive to the body), meanwhile getting peppered with fast, clean and hard combinations. It might not seem as bad right now, in terms of the foot and hand speed gap, but wait until fight night, mark my words, it's going to be staggering. I honestly can't think of a better style match up for Martinez at the moment.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm bashing Chavez, because I'm not. I just can't think of a worse style match up for him, then Martinez. I think this whole "Great fight" thing, is an optical illusion. Now, I could be wrong, we'll find out. I'll accept that I'm wrong if it turns out that way. But, as of right now from what I'm seeing. I don't see it going past 6 or 7 rounds. 8 or 9 rounds maximum. BUT, to make an exact prediciton, I see MArtinez brutally stopping Chavez in about the 4th round. Yup, you heard right. Also, I'm not a fan of either really, so this is a neutral standpoint from me. Just my two cents on this guys.

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
    Well. I very rarely use this word, unless I feel it's necessary. This fight, IMO, is a mismatch. I like Chavez Jr. I really do. I think he's improved too, over the years. BUT, size advantage or no, size advantage, this is a mismatch, IMO. Based on styles, Chavez is chronically outgunned IMO. Yes, he's strong, is a good body puncher, and takes a decent shot. But, the foot and hand speed advantage Martinez has, is astronomical.

Martinez is also very awkward with his herky jerky lateral movement and angles, and his constant movement. Chavez is a solid fighter, he really is. But he is not going to be able to plow forward onto Sergio, like he's been able to against guys like Lee and Rubio. Yes, Lee was a southpaw who boxed. But, Lee is a much stiffer, straight up and down "Kronk" style of fighter, who doesn't use the same kind of movement and angles Martinez utilizes. And, is nowhere close to as fast as Martinez with his footwork.

I literally, just do not see how Chavez is going to be able to find Martinez, he's just going to be plodding forward looking to get inside and get his body punches off on a very elusive target (who's even more elusive to the body), meanwhile getting peppered with fast, clean and hard combinations. It might not seem as bad right now, in terms of the foot and hand speed gap, but wait until fight night, mark my words, it's going to be staggering. I honestly can't think of a better style match up for Martinez at the moment.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm bashing Chavez, because I'm not. I just can't think of a worse style match up for him, then Martinez. I think this whole "Great fight" thing, is an optical illusion. Now, I could be wrong, we'll find out. I'll accept that I'm wrong if it turns out that way. But, as of right now from what I'm seeing. I don't see it going past 6 or 7 rounds. 8 or 9 rounds maximum. BUT, to make an exact prediciton, I see MArtinez brutally stopping Chavez in about the 4th round. Yup, you heard right. Also, I'm not a fan of either really, so this is a neutral standpoint from me. Just my two cents on this guys.
    Hes a roach fighter so theyll probably have a 12x12 ring to give Jr an advantage but Im with you. Martinez by tko before the 10th.

Comment

Chavez Jr fans are in for a rude awakening.

The whole world is going to see the difference between a bog standard brawler and an elite boxer-puncher with fast feet, superb lateral movement, handspeed, timing and K.O power in both hands.

Sergio is going to beat the **** out of this kid and I can not wait because his fanbase are the most annoying trolls I've ever witnessed.

I don't care what anyone says, Jr is going night-night.

Comment

Jr is no way near Martinez's level and I'm always amazed at how his fans don't see that..it's like comparing day and night.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post

And, is nowhere close to as fast as Martinez with his footwork.

I concur. Martinez is trained EXTRA hard for this fight. It's PAYDAY to a even bigger PAYDAY. Chavez has no defense, likes to block punches with his head and unable to fight off the backfoot. I think he will last longer than six round due to his youth, size and good chin (maybe pride carrying that name). JCCJ's constant draining of weight and blowing up is gonna hurt him after the 9th rd. He is gonna have to chase Martinez ALL night.

Honestly, I think JCCJ might vacate his title or is this just a big payoff $$ after the bubble?

Comment

Orthodox body punchers (Chavez) have a huge challenge with unorthodox guys with good movement. Martinez tends to have the crowd-pleasing, RJJ style of front-hand-down approach to fights when he gets comfortable. That'll present a lot of problems for Jr. to land his big shots. Plus, to land a big punch, he'll have to turn INTO a stronger, faster puncher's power hand. It wont be a good day for Chavez Jr.

Comment

I think Chavez can survive the early rounds and come on strong during the late rounds to get the win.

Comment

1st off, I'm a fan of both. Chavez has grown on me this last year. But to say the fight is a mismatch is a little overboard right now. There are 2 glaring advantages that Jr has in this fight for sure. It's age & size.

Jr is evolving into the premier pressure fighter in boxing. A complete pressure fighter with a vicious body attack. The fight will depend on how well Martinez will be able to use his legs & how long. Being pressured by someone that pays attention to the body is dangerous.

I still slightly favor Martinez because of his overall better boxing IQ & reflexes, but it isn't by much 60/40 Martinez, hell it may be tipped come fight week. If Martinez doesn't hurt Chavez early he'll be in for a long long night.

Comment

It's all about Chavez's chin and stamina, and whether those attributes are good enough to handle Sergio. If he can eat Sergio's punches, he will wear him out. Sergio's little lapses he takes during fights will make this fight hard.

Sergio isn't an elusive fighter, I've never seen him in a fight where he was hard to hit. Even guys that he dominated touch him up quite a bit. I'm not wondering at all about whether Chavez can hit him, he will.

I think Sergio wins and wins clearly, but it will be hard. By the end of the fight Chavez may look like the fresher fighter while Sergio is glad it is over.
                  Last edited by bojangles1987; 07-12-2012, 07:00 AM.

Comment

The world hasn't seen a great pressure fighter since chavez sr. and Junior brought out some of that nostalgia towards the end of the andy lee fight.

If chavez jr. comes in with that kind of pressure mentality and manages to retain it thoughout the whole fight, i see it UD for chavez and thats depending on how well martinez can take a punch and how well Martinez manages to hold on.

Comment

Working...
                    X