No announcement yet.

Beginning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning

Hey guys, I got a pair of gloves and a heavy bag and have been using it to gain strength and release stress. After a while I realized i enjoy it and want to start taking boxing seriously. Are there any tips that you guys can give so I can make progress and won't hurt myself.

Some background information- I'm 17 years old and am a thrower in track and play soccer so I want to do this during the summer and in free time to stay in shape. I also do weights on top of this.

Thanks

Join a boxing gym if you want to take boxing seriously. You cannot do it on your own, no matter how many youtube videos you watch. Only a good trainer can help you improve and he is there to see your mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by ChowAce View Post
      Join a boxing gym if you want to take boxing seriously. You cannot do it on your own, no matter how many youtube videos you watch. Only a good trainer can help you improve and he is there to see your mistakes.
      co sign.

and i might add not only will training on your own not make you a good boxer, it will acctually keep you from becoming a good boxer in the future.

theres nothing worse for a trainer than a boxer whos been working out on his own before hes been taught the fundamentals properly because he will have developed bad habits that might take years to get rid off.

if u want to take boxing seriously theres just one thing to do, join a gym. leave that heavybag alone for atleast a few months until a trainer has shown you the basics, after that you can work out by yourself in addition to training at the gym.

Comment

Thanks guys! Sadly, the closest gyms I could find are about an hour away and with my incoming schedule I don't think I'll have time to make it.

Comment

You should take balance diet as well matching your routine exercise with enough calories.

Comment

Originally posted by FinalSalvation View Post
            Thanks guys! Sadly, the closest gyms I could find are about an hour away and with my incoming schedule I don't think I'll have time to make it.
            You know what, if I were you I wouldn't be put off. Listen, I've been a coach for over 15 years. There are many things worse for me than resolving the bad habits of boxers, whatever the reason for the boxer developing those bad habits. I'd go one step further. My job as a coach is to resolve bad habits, wherever I find them. If I can't do that (especially with modern coaching methods), then I should not be a coach. If the boxer has enthusiasm, then I shall work as hard as I can to resolve their bad habits one by one.

Back to the point. If you want to don your gloves and work out on your heavy bag, then do so. Boxing is a highly technical business (but then I would say that wouldn't I), and being from a an athletic background then you'll be prepared to break things down to their core elements. Check out the link to my site below where you'll find a load of videos describing basic boxing skills. I'll be happy to take any questions back here.

Learn How to Box

Cheers and good luck

Fran

Comment

Working...
            X