Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cunningham-Fury Now Title Eliminator; Winner To Face Pulev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Cunningham-Fury Now Title Eliminator; Winner To Face Pulev

When the magnitude of his costly loss to Tomasz Adamek hit him, Steve Cunningham cried during their post-fight press conference Dec. 22.

The former cruiserweight champion from Philadelphia firmly believed he earned a victory over Adamek, who beat Cunningham by split decision for the second time in four years. That defeat denied Cunningham a chance to fight Kubrat Pulev in an IBF elimination match that could’ve earned him a lucrative shot at Wladimir Klitschko.

Oddly, Cunningham has Adamek to thank for getting another opportunity to secure that high-stakes fight against Pulev.

The IBF has decided to sanction Cunningham’s April 20 fight against Tyson Fury as a fight for the vacant No. 2 spot in its heavyweight rankings. The winner will box Bulgaria’s Pulev to become the IBF’s mandatory challenger for Klitschko. [Click Here To Read More]

This turned out good in the end for Cunningham after that horrible judges' decision. He'll have his chance at facing Pulev and then Klitschko. So maybe there is some justice in the world.

Of course he has to get by Tyson Fury first which will be no small task.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 02-20-2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Whooaaaa! Love this.... USS can dispatch Fury, and face Pulev in a "fight of the year" candidate! Hope NBC Sports Channel grabs both of these, or do the Duvas have a monopoly on that network series?

Comment

Excellent news. Pulev beats both of these guys I think. A fury-pulev fight would be fun and just what the HW division needs. Two undefeated contenders fighting for the right to face the champ.

Steve stands absolutely no chance against Fury, and even less of a chance with Pulev. You can pipe dream all you want, but reality is He's just way too small, he couldn't even beat old man Adamek decisively. These are REAL heavyweights and as much as I like Cunnigham he's going to get hurt really badly. It is what it is though, He's a warrior and has his destiny in his own hands.
        Last edited by King_; 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

It's ridiculous that Pulev is not a draw according to Adamek but journeymen like Travis Walker and Nagy Aguilera with no fanbase whatsoever get a fight no questions asked.

Comment

Yeah, according to Adamek fighting Pulev to get a title shot against Wlad isn't worth the money.

But fighting Artur Szpilka is.

Comment

I don't feel Fury would fight Pulev. Would love to see it though.

Comment

Fury vs Pulev then.

Good fight. I'll be surprised if Fury takes that fight though. I think he'll cash out only if a titles on the line because if he fights Pulev and loses and the money wast great thats the end to his hype and he didnt even have a decent paycheque to show for it.

Comment

Well done Team Fury if these are you next 2 opponents I am looking forward to them especially the Pulev fight that will be a cracker - now that leaves Price camp to try and have similar opponents I would recommend Arreola after Thompson just to see where Price really is - then the 2 British Porspects will show their arrival on the Heavyweight scene.

Comment

TY and LOVE this NBC series and it's dedication to HW boxing.This crop of HW will rival the late 80's-2000 crop of great HW fighters !!! The HW division is back baby,now we just have to get these guys fighting each other all the time.The HW division may be 12-20 deep.

Comment

Working...
                    X