No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tony Morgan Discusses His Split With Andre Berto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tony Morgan Discusses His Split With Andre Berto

Throughout his eight-year professional career, Winter Haven, Florida’s Andre Berto has undeniably accomplished a lot. Having twice held portions of the welterweight championship, Berto graced HBO’s airwaves on numerous occasions while earning some very healthy paydays along the way.

There’s also no questioning the importance that trainer Tony Morgan played in helping guide Berto towards becoming a top-level prizefighter.

Having met Berto when he was just ten years old and still fresh into the sport, Morgan and his pupil enjoyed quite the ride and seemed to have the recipe for success under any and all situations.

However, on the heels of his upset defeat at the hands of Robert Guerrero this past November, his second loss in three fights, Berto decided to make some changes with his team, as it was announced in late February that he and Morgan were parting ways.

And while Berto has since resurfaced and found his place amongst Northern California-based Virgil Hunter’s growing stable, Morgan is still left with a feeling of bemusement at how his relationship with a man he considered to be practically his son has changed.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Trainer seems like a good guy

Comment

Seemed a decent trainer only Berto wouldn't follow instructions. Hopefully Morgan gets some more work.

Comment

Berto's downfall came after he completely lost his identity, wanting to mimick Floyd. Be yourself you'll past longer. Berto's a waste of talent.

Comment

Berto is a good fighter. Just got beat up by guys who bullied him. Ortiz and Guerrero treated him like a lil ninja.

Comment

Good interview but I have to say for at least 2 years I saw no improvement from Berto at all. Will I 100% blame the trainer for that no but he plays a big role in that. Sometimes change is needed and IMO Berto needed a change. Just feel bad that Hunter is wasting his time and talents on Berto.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Seemed a decent trainer only Berto wouldn't follow instructions.
              That's the impression I got, that Berto either wouldn't listen to him or that he lost confidence in what he was being told.

Either way that kind of trainer-boxer relationship isn't good so it's probably for the best that Berto moved on. If anyone can make something more out of him it's Virgil Hunter.

Comment

I didnt read it but this guy is the worst trainer in boxing. Berto's team screwed up by having him fight a million Southpaws. Then I heard the trainer tell him in every single fight to go the wrong way.

He always told Berto to circle the opposite way that every other righty does against Southpaws which made Berto uncoordinated, and look like crap. Dont tell me he didnt listen. He shouldve never listened. Then he comes out last fight with the Mayweather style.

The problem for Berto is its too late now. He had it beat out of him. He has no footwork because the guy has him circling the wrong way
                Last edited by DLT; 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

berto

I think berto's athleticism got him by for a long time possible more than Tony morgan. Morgan reached his training potential 5 fights ago but wouldn't step aside for the better for the fighter a trainer is not only a teacher but also a motivater if morgan can't get berto going like Dundee did Leonard he needs to go im surprise golden boy even kept him around for the last fight

Comment

Berto has 3 issues:

1- A mental block that stops him from using his footwork against an incoming opponent. Good opponents are able to consistently get on the inside because he'd get tense, stiffen up, and all but wait for them to come in.

2 - Once on the inside, he'd get abused because of his lack of inside fighting skills. He's oblivious, he squares up and sticks his arms out trying to hold or entangle his opponent; that works against certain (slower, less aggressive and skilled) opponents, but not Guerrero, Ortiz, and Collazo. (ex. Devon Alexander)

3 - His stamina is terrible... Giving Berto the benefit of the doubt, he probably trains enough, but he stays tense and tight. Putting the amount of speed and power he does into his shots without being relaxed is asking to gas. (ex. Peter Quillin)

Other than fixing these built in bad habits (which is extremely tough to do after years and thousands of rounds of repeating them), they can be hidden. It's called clever matchmaking.

Comment

Working...
                    X