No announcement yet.

Fasting after morning run

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting after morning run

Is it bad for you to fast after morning run at 5:30 am until like 12:30 pm. Im trying to get to 8% body fat (currently 10.8%) and on wedsdays I like to pig out but stay within my caloric limit.

i think some oatmeal and a piece of fruit, water. would be more beneficial to you than trying to get on with your day, depleted. No?

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyJunior View Post
      Is it bad for you to fast after morning run at 5:30 am until like 12:30 pm. Im trying to get to 8% body fat (currently 10.8%) and on wedsdays I like to pig out but stay within my caloric limit.
      No No NO! After a run you need to eat so your body can recover properly. Your body needs Protein asap. Have a protein shake, or banana, egg whites, oatmeal with some protein powder. You also need to replenish your electrolytes so have some gatorade or coconut water.

Comment

No it isn't bad for you.

Meal timing is largely irrelevant. Don't listen to those people that tell you that you "need protein immediately after training" or that "you need to eat regularly to increase your metabolism". All these people are poorly educated on nutrition and are regurgitating the rubbish that supplement companies have been feeding them that are not backed up by scientifically credible information.

Eat when you want. The important thing is that you are getting the macronutrients you need on a daily basis. You can do this by eating once, twice or ten times. It does not matter. It is all personal preference. If you want to fast in the morning after running, do it. If you want to eat, do it. Its up to what works best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
          No it isn't bad for you.

Meal timing is largely irrelevant. Don't listen to those people that tell you that you "need protein immediately after training" or that "you need to eat regularly to increase your metabolism". All these people are poorly educated on nutrition and are regurgitating the rubbish that supplement companies have been feeding them that are not backed up by scientifically credible information.

Eat when you want. The important thing is that you are getting the macronutrients you need on a daily basis. You can do this by eating once, twice or ten times. It does not matter. It is all personal preference. If you want to fast in the morning after running, do it. If you want to eat, do it. Its up to what works best for you.

Wrong!

Fasting for six hours after an early morning run is a sure route towards injury. There is an hour window after a run where the body is primed to replenish it's glycogen stores and also build and repair muscle tissue. You should eat at this time!

Every running book/magazine and publication I own supports this view. I'm sure they are better informed than you......and it makes logical sense if you think about it!

Comment

No it isn't bad for you.

Wow, are you serious or just trolling? You can't be this dumb.

Comment

Rehydrate after running just don't use large amounts of fluids. If you want to drop fat content take a few days off from the gym and use a laxative! Many old school fighters would take time out from the gym and do a fast along with a cleansing!! If you do it correctly you will feel stronger and lighter because your body will be free of wastes. You can use dried fruits as a partial cleansing but a doctors assistance at first would be wise too. I did this when I was an active fighter once a month. I didn't have alot of gym time and sparring I fought 22 times in one year so the gym time was very overated for me. I did train for 5 years prior to my fight schedule. Fasting is a good thing! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                Wrong!

Fasting for six hours after an early morning run is a sure route towards injury. There is an hour window after a run where the body is primed to replenish it's glycogen stores and also build and repair muscle tissue. You should eat at this time!

Every running book/magazine and publication I own supports this view. I'm sure they are better informed than you......and it makes logical sense if you think about it!
                There is no "window". That is a myth that was generated by supplement companies to promote their products that has since been disproved by scientific studies.

Personally I would not recommend fasting for several hours after an intense training session, but that is purely because I am hungry. I eat when I am hungry. The most recent and credible scientific studies demonstrate that nutrient timing is of either no or very little significance (in terms of weight loss/gain, body composition) unless the athlete is engaging in regular and intense endurance training (for instance a marathon runner).

If you are advocating he eat after running to maintain his energy levels for later in the day, then I am not disagreeing with you. However, its down to his personal preference. If his energy levels are still ok fasting for several hours after his run and not eating until lunch time, then there is absolutely no problem with it.

By the way, with regards to nutrition, the "books" that you own are most likely filled with complete rubbish. Personally I would recommend perusing the 'Nutrition' section of the bodybuilding.com site, and in particular the stickied threads in that section. These provide a good overview of the key aspects of nutrition, including pre and post-workout nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigg Happpy! View Post
                  Wow, are you serious or just trolling? You can't be this dumb.
                  I am not trolling.

Your comment "you need protein asap" implies that you are, or are incredibly misinformed when it comes to proper nutrition and pre and post-workout nutrition. I suggest reading my above post.

Comment

I am not trolling.

Your comment "you need protein asap" implies that you are, or are incredibly misinformed when it comes to proper nutrition and pre and post-workout nutrition. I suggest reading my above post.
                    I read the above post and it's the dumbest shet I've ever read. You should post a picture of yourself so we can see what kind of shape you're in.

Comment

Working...
                    X