Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Joe Louis held in such high regard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Joe Louis held in such high regard?

His resume is not all that great,was know for his "bum of the month club" fought a lot of smaller non heavyweights..to be honest his resume is not to much different then Wlads yet Wlad is criticized on here.Why can we not respect modern fighters and old school fighters seem above criticism?

The majority of the "Bum of the Month" club were Top 10 HW's that a Writer decided to name and people have seemed to run with it from then on.

I know you're a guy who puts a lot of stock into Title Defenses, Joe Louis has the record, he has 25 consectutive ones. Must be held in a high regard, no?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      The majority of the "Bum of the Month" club were Top 10 HW's that a Writer decided to name and people have seemed to run with it from then on.

I know you're a guy who puts a lot of stock into Title Defenses, Joe Louis has the record, he has 25 consectutive ones. Must be held in a high regard, no?
      Haha... dude's mad because he's ranked higher than Floyd in that recent poll.
      He has the most significant HW fight in American history too IMO

Comment

if you can't look at the tape and say "holy f#ck is this guy a great offensive fighter," you have no business talking about joe louis. the man revolutionized punching.

best right hand ever. short, to the point, accurate, and devastating.

when the HW championship was the most coveted trophy in sport, louis held it for over a decade. he mixed in some inactivity because of world war 2. his contenders have been, for the most part, much stronger than wladimir's.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          if you can't look at the tape and say "holy f#ck is this guy a great offensive fighter," you have no business talking about joe louis. the man revolutionized punching.

best right hand ever. short, to the point, accurate, and devastating.

when the HW championship was the most coveted trophy in sport, louis held it for over a decade. he mixed in some inactivity because of world war 2. his contenders have been, for the most part, much stronger than wladimir's.
          Oh most definetly beating a guy with 6 fights I think? Is a stronger contender. If any modern era fighter fought a guy with 6 fights 2 or 3 being losses he clearly deserves a shot at the most prestigious title ever.

Comment

Originally posted by HWChampion View Post
            Oh most definetly beating a guy with 6 fights I think? Is a stronger contender. If any modern era fighter fought a guy with 6 fights 2 or 3 being losses he clearly deserves a shot at the most prestigious title ever.
            The title wasn't on the line for that though.

That was a tune up coming off a 2 year lay off.

Comment

I rate Joe Luis above Ali, and Marciano above Luis, but there we go . . . Joe Luis stood for more than just boxing, as did Jack Jonhson, so you cannot denoy their contribution to the sport.

They fought in era's which weren't above resumes, but independence for the African American race as I'm sure you're probably aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by HWChampion View Post

that's generally not considered a world title fight. it was also in 1944, while louis was in the army, and fighting often just for charity. it was his only "fight" in a four year hiatus from boxing. fighters used to take "tune ups." almost all of the greats have them on their resume.

have you ever seen joe louis fight?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  The title wasn't on the line for that though.

That was a tune up coming off a 2 year lay off.

at the tail end of a world war

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    at the tail end of a world war
                    Preciesly the reason for the tune up.

The title also wasn't on the line for that fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X