• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which stance should I use if..

Which stance should I use if these are the benefits of each:

Orthodox - Faster with my hands
    Southpaw - Knockout right hook and better defense

southpaw if you have better defense and power it sounds good you will make up for the speed disadvantage

Comment

the only advice i can give you is if you're left handed fight southpaw, if you're right handed fight orthodox and if you're ambidextrous study cotto and naz.

Comment

I think which way you fight (southpaw v. orthodox) has just as much to do with with your natural stance as it has to do with which is your dominate hand. I never hear anyone talk about this, but I bet this is why guys like De La Hoya and Cotto fight opposite to what their dominate hand is -- because their stance and footwork was more natural with their dominate hand forward when they started. The only example I can think of is skateboarding. If you are left foot forward and right handed it is an easy choice. But if you are right foot forward and right handed it is a tougher choice.

When I first started boxing I was all out of wack because my natural stance was right foot back but I am left handed. My trainer almost made me an orthodox fighter because I moved so much better left foot forward. I stayed Southpaw, and I am glad I did, but I am sure it took me a little longer to improve my footwork. So think about which way your stance is more natural and this may help you make your decision.

Hope that helps and makes some sense. If it does not I will try and explain.

Comment

both, depending on who you are fighting and how the fight is going. like if ur fighting a brawler then stand ortho, use ur speed and slice. whereas if ur fighting a boxer then stand southpaw, use ur D and stick em with ur jab.

also consider switching between rounds (don't switch in the middle of a round unless u know wat ur doing, cos u can get f'd up). like if ur fighting a brawler then stand south earlier on to wear them out and frustrate them and ortho later on to capitalize on a tired and/or frustrated mistakes.

Comment

Working...
          X