No announcement yet.

Fertitta confirms Mir vs Cain/Tito vs Griffin 3

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fertitta confirms Mir vs Cain/Tito vs Griffin 3

A great champion is made by a great rivalry. No Joe Frazier no Muhammad Ali, no Sugar Ray Robinson no Jake LaMotta, no Micky Ward no Arturo Gatti, and you can go on through all the fighting greats in history.

Tito Ortiz may only be the people's champion now, but he remains the longest reigning UFC Light Heavyweight Champion of all-time, and one of the greats in the short history of MMA.

Tito's legacy was built of rivalry.

His three fights with Ken Shamrock made him rich, and were part of a contining rivalry with the Lion's Den, going 1-1 with Guy Mezger, and stopping Jerry Bohlander on cuts.

Tito feuded with Chuck Liddell, losing twice, and in turn cementing Chuck's status as an all time great.

Tito's greatest rivalry was perhaps with fellow former light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin, splitting split decisions, with a win in 2006 and a loss in 2009.

The two campaigned to do it one last time, in 2012.

"You know what's funny about me and Tito?" asked Griffin insightfully. "The truth is we each consider the other an easy fight ... Coming back from a bad loss and beating Tito Ortiz up? No problem. For Tito, he's thinking, 'Forrest ain't that good. He's getting old, prematurely. This is a great way to go out, with a win over Forrest!' So, I think it's a beautiful match up."

Now UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta has announced that Griffin and Ortiz are going to get what they want. Fertitta also announced that former UFC heavyweight champions Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez are going to be fighting.

No date for either fight was revealed.
    TheUnderground

I hope after Velasquez smashes Frank Mir's face in we can see Werdum vs. Mir. That fight intrigues me...

Comment

Mir v. Cain is interesting

Tito v. Griffin 3.... not so much

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing Tito and Griffin fight other people, but this rematch seems pointless.

Comment

I still think both fights were a Draw. I think tito won the first two rounds then forrest embarassed him in the 3rd when tito didn't land a punch. Its a good last fight for both since forrest is on record saying hes done getting knocked out against elite guys he just wants to put on a few more good fights and be done. This is perfect for both, WAR TITO!

Mir vs Valasquez is a VERY good fight. Probably #2 and 3 in the world I still don't rank Overeem highly til he beats one of them. But on the feet I think its dead even as both throw hard and have good offense but little defense and medicore chins I expect the first one to land hard wins on the feet, but on the ground once mir has a limb its over. But cain is faster and more conditioned. If it ends in the first id bank on mir, bit if cain survives that i expect him to stand overwhelming mir and finish him late.

Comment

Mir has been a bit dissapointing in the past when I expected entertaining fights from him. I was looking forward to a great BJJ fight against Nelson and a good stand-up battle vs CroCop, but in both fights he implemented a pretty boring gameplan.

The Nog rematch was great though, but I think that's because he was losing and needed to do something big to turn it around.

Could go either way but I think Cain keeps it standing and wins by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
              Mir v. Cain is interesting

Tito v. Griffin 3.... not so much
              I am actually more interested in Tito-Griffin 3.

We all know Mir doesnt stand the chance against Cain.

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
                I am actually more interested in Tito-Griffin 3.

We all know Mir doesnt stand the chance against Cain.
                And how do u figure that? this is probably the closest high level heavyweight fight u can make. Cain only has a clear advantage in cardio in wrestling. Both good offensive strikers with no defense and I would even say mir hasmore one shot power with his obvious ground advantage. Big heavyweights give mir problems and cain isn't one of them.

Comment

Working...
                X