Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Hearns entered the Olympics in '80.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Hearns entered the Olympics in '80.

Could the Hitman have won a Gold medal?

First of all the US didn't participate in the 1980 Olympics. And if Hearns were able to destroy a strong welterweight champion in 1980, certainly no amateur would beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      First of all the US didn't participate in the 1980 Olympics. And if Hearns were able to destroy a strong welterweight champion in 1980, certainly no amateur would beat him.
      Damn Scott you're like Joe Cortez, firm but fair!

Comment

I mean...he is Tommy Hearns...so yes.

Comment

Hearns had everything you could hope for in am amateur boxer. He was tall,had reach'was lightenung fasr and was a great boxer. A prime candidate for a Gold Medel if there ever was one.

Comment

One thing to remember is that Hearns was not the same fighter as an amateur as he was as a pro. For one he did not score many knockouts. His power and skill set was actually developed as a pro under Emanuel Steward.

But Hearns being Hearns, He would have been pretty developed by 1980. I can't imagine him not winning the gold.(if & if & if)

Comment

back then though tommy was tall and somewhat fast. he couldn,t handle pressure as pryor proved a few times. ha would have had a decent chance at gold but there were a few cubans, russians, korean, bulgarian fighters who pressure style would have given him trouble. when i fought hearns and sparred with him back them he had no punch at all. i think it developed as he got older and stronger.

Comment

Cuban Aldama won Gold (he lost to SRL in the 76 Finals) and John Mugabi took Silver. Mugabi could have been a real prblem for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
                  Cuban Aldama won Gold (he lost to SRL in the 76 Finals) and John Mugabi took Silver. Mugabi could have been a real prblem for him.
                  I don't think so. Hearns was extremely refined even as an amateur; what I've seen of Mugabi in the Olympics was not all that impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    I don't think so. Hearns was extremely refined even as an amateur; what I've seen of Mugabi in the Olympics was not all that impressive.
                    The 1980 team's 139 and 147lbers were Johnny Bumphus and Donald Curry. They were as good, if not better, amateurs as Hearns was. Not so sure he gets by them to even make the Olympic team. It's no certainty.

Comment

Working...
                    X