No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Is Andre Berto Done? One Man Says No

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Is Andre Berto Done? One Man Says No

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I’ve always had a thing for Andre Berto.

I saw him fight for the first time when he was still a single-digit novice – in his seventh pro fight, to be exact – deep on the undercard of the Tarver-Jones III sleepwalk in downtown Tampa, Fla.

We caught up again about a year later, when he blasted out no-hoper Roberto Valenzuela in less than a round underneath the Forrest-Quartey scrap in the small room at Madison Square Garden.

I lauded him as “Prospect of the Year” for a column I wrote back then on a long-since capsized website, and I patiently waited for the promise to catch up to the potential.

I interviewed him now and then along the way after that, and I have to admit I was thrilled – as I sat in a hotel room in the Cayman Islands (after sitting ringside for Andre Ward a night before) – to see him dispatch Miki Rodriguez with a sweet right-hand uppercut and earn himself a title belt in June 2008.

In spite of his fun new status, I had no illusions that he was actually the best welterweight in a world that then featured names like Margarito, Cotto, Williams. Still, when we talked a few days after he whipped Steve Forbes for defense No. 1 a few months later, confidence was the least of his issues.

“Yes, I think I am the best welterweight out there,” he said. “I believe it, and I know that in due time I'll be able to prove to everyone else that I'm No. 1. I think I have the total package when you combine speed, power, agility and the ability to adjust to any sort of style from the opposition.

“I'm the first of the new breed of fighter in this weight class and I'm eager to make big fights with the rest of the big names out there.”

I thought of all that again late Saturday night. [Click Here To Read More]

Boxing Scenes Worst Writer At It Again

Lol @ "if berto was healthy he wudda won doe"

Comment

You don't think Berto can "utter names" like Broner, but you think he can hang with Devon Alexander and Tim Bradley?

Devon and Tim should both be favored to completely dominate Broner right now.

Comment

suggesting that berto beat ortiz? fight wasn't close. only idiots think it was and then citing the idiots that thought berto won doesn't help at all. saying that berto would have done better if his eyes weren't messed up vs guerrero? how did they get messed up? from guerrero punching him over and over. having the berto-karass fight close and saying he wins easily if he wasn't injured? someone is living in a bubble. reality cannot penetrate this bubble!

Comment

I had Berto winning 4 rounds (maybe 5 being generous) against Karass before the 12th. It really surprised me when he started being competitive with one arm in the second half. I thought it was over after the 5th. I don't think it was as lopsided on the scorecards as some people are suggesting, although most of the rounds Karass won were a lot more dominating than the rounds Berto won. Considering how well he did with one arm, I don't think he's done either. Not saying Berto would have won with both arms, but it's a factor I have to consider when deciding if he's a done fighter.
          Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 07-30-2013, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            suggesting that berto beat ortiz? fight wasn't close. only idiots think it was and then citing the idiots that thought berto won doesn't help at all. saying that berto would have done better if his eyes weren't messed up vs guerrero? how did they get messed up? from guerrero punching him over and over. having the berto-karass fight close and saying he wins easily if he wasn't injured? someone is living in a bubble. reality cannot penetrate this bubble!
            Fitzsimmons is a joke

He also thinks the dude in your avi is a hall of famer

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Fitzsimmons
              He lost eight of 12 rounds and was dropped twice in the loss to Guerrero, but fought close to evenly after the first two rounds and might have fared better had it not been for two injured eyes
              I could understand thinking "what if" regarding the Karass fight because messing up his arm was an unlikely freak accident. But I see no point in thinking "what if" regarding the Guerrero fight. He was turned into ET by Guerrero's punches. It was Guerrero's offence and Bertos' crappy defense that caused it. To wonder how he would have fared without injured eyes is to wonder how he would have fared if he was a completely different fighter that knew how to block punches.
              Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 07-30-2013, 03:15 AM.

Comment

he got bills and a lifestyle to pay for.

of course he's not done.

look at shane mosley.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  Considering how well he did with one arm, I don't think he's done either. Not saying Berto would have won with both arms, but it's a factor I have to consider when deciding if he's a done fighter.
                  I don't think he has gotten enough credit for how gutsy his performance was once he got injured. With two good arms that fight maybe goes differently.

People only look at the negatives with Berto because they dislike him and don't want to give him any credit. But his fights are almost always entertaining win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Keni Styles View Post
                    he got bills and a lifestyle to pay for.

of course he's not done.

look at shane mosley.
                    Sugar Shane has class.

Comment

Working...
                    X