No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cotto Saw Golovkin's WBC Spot as Financially Motivated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Cotto Saw Golovkin's WBC Spot as Financially Motivated

LAS VEGAS - The headlines piled up in the last few days, when the World Boxing Council derecognized Miguel Cotto as their middleweight champion.

Cotto and the sanctioning body were unable to reach an agreement on the sanctioning fee for this Saturday's fight, when the Puerto Rican star takes on Saul "Canelo" Alvarez of Mexico at the Mandalay Bay.

As part of the entire agreement, Cotto was obligated to pay mandatory challenger Gennady "GGG" Golovkin a step-aside fee of $800,000. While Cotto agreed to pay the step-aside, he refused to meet the WBC's demand of $300,000 to sanction the fight. He offered $125,000 - which the WBC rejected.
    [Click Here To Read More]

He's not lying, it's all about the money. WBC have stripped fighters or made them make a decision of what belt to keep when they have fought for or held another sanctioning body's belt. They see what type of money they can make off GGG, Cotto, or Canelo's back so in that case they will make exceptions to their own rules. Not surprised

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      LAS VEGAS - The headlines piled up in the last few days, when the World Boxing Council derecognized Miguel Cotto as their middleweight champion.

Cotto and the sanctioning body were unable to reach an agreement on the sanctioning fee for this Saturday's fight, when the Puerto Rican star takes on Saul "Canelo" Alvarez of Mexico at the Mandalay Bay.

As part of the entire agreement, Cotto was obligated to pay mandatory challenger Gennady "GGG" Golovkin a step-aside fee of $800,000. While Cotto agreed to pay the step-aside, he refused to meet the WBC's demand of $300,000 to sanction the fight. He offered $125,000 - which the WBC rejected.
      [Click Here To Read More]
      I can see where Cotto is coming from but why not just vacate the belt as soon as he beat Geale

Wonder what he paid sanctioning fees against Geale?????

Golovkin beat the mandotary Marco Rubio to be number 1 contender

Cotto quite clearly does not want to fight GGG but why mess everyone around

in know way do i feel sorry for the WBC

i hope Premier boxing make their own champions that would be brilliant

Comment

Yea, don't doubt it was financially motivated... The champ as an interim made no sense. Then again the Sergio defense was financially motivated as well.

Also evidently there was a confidentiality clause on the golovkin step aside that cotto was talking about.... So no bueno for him there

Comment

This is the exact same thing that said, How was GGG made a mandatory for the WBC belt when he is a champion with another organisation. Nobody was able to answer me that apart from the "He beat Rubio for the interim belt"....... I have never seen this happen before, where a champion of another organisation is made a mandatory of another organisation, if that isnt corruption then i dont know what it is then.

Comment

While he is making it clear that he (understandably) does not want a fight with GGG, I respect his position about the WBC's money grabbing tactics here and don't blame him for his decision.

Comment

I'm pretty sure K2 will take this to court or settle for some type of compensation. I think Cotto and RN maybe wont have to pay the full $800k, because they dont have a belt to defend against Canelo, but will need to compansate GGG and K2 for not complying with agreement. Now, the WBC said that there was no contract but a "Good Faith Agreement" between RN and K2, this is what's confusing to me and seems to Cotto and his advisor!

Comment

Cotto

Catch weights are ruining boxing. They shouldn't be allowed. Especially in a title fight. Cotto won't face. He's scared of him. So is canelo. Both these guys need to grow a set.

Comment

Of course the wbc wants money it's not a free service lol he is making a ton of money more than people believe not 3 mill that's for sure. He is asked a percentage of his earning to defend versus a voluntary for a second time. He used his title as a champion for negotiations and status. A lot of money or not he should have fought GGG at 160 for his belt. And yes he became the mandatory when he beat rubio. you people make me laugh. What do you want the WBC to do? let him defend against all voluntaries at catchweights and duck GGG forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
                    Yea, don't doubt it was financially motivated... The champ as an interim made no sense. Then again the Sergio defense was financially motivated as well.

Also evidently there was a confidentiality clause on the golovkin step aside that cotto was talking about.... So no bueno for him there
                    In case Cotto previously signed something with this respect, then he's bound...

Comment

Working...
                    X