No announcement yet.

Offsetting Volume Punchers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offsetting Volume Punchers

I was wondering what is the most effective strategy for offsetting a volume puncher? obviously it depends on each fighter individually, but is there a general rule for this?

This is primarily because I prefer to choose my shots and only really let my hands go when my opponent's on the ropes, which means i don't have the highest punch output. I sometimes struggle with volume punchers because they'll throw twice as many punches as me, regardless of whether they're connecting or not.

I appreciate any help.

Originally posted by fvanesbeck View Post
    I was wondering what is the most effective strategy for offsetting a volume puncher? obviously it depends on each fighter individually, but is there a general rule for this?

This is primarily because I prefer to choose my shots and only really let my hands go when my opponent's on the ropes, which means i don't have the highest punch output. I sometimes struggle with volume punchers because they'll throw twice as many punches as me, regardless of whether they're connecting or not.

I appreciate any help.
    Make em work. Use the jab and then move right away and don't get suckered into going toe-to-toe. If they get you on the ropes look to tie them up and let them expend their energy by throwing tons of punches at the air.

Comment

Move, but move smart. Pivot and turn circles, keep just out of range. He can't, or shouldn't, throw punches if he can't reach you. So turn him and don't let him get set. Shane Mosley fought Phil Holiday, who was winning fights throwing a 140plus punches per round. Shane won 10 of 12 rounds and limited the guy to 60, 65 punches a round.
      Also, counter punch him effectively early on. Make him hesitant to move his hands.

Comment

Bassicaly what they said above, circle, move out of range and use the jab. I'd add to put some power behind the jab, don't just throw it out there. Make him pay if his hands aren't up to catch it and just hit hard more often than not.

If you're good at countering you can try releasing a punch almost at the same time as your opponent's on his vulnerable side. If you connect first it will make him lose rythm and some balance and it will allow you to continue with a short combo.

Comment

Counter punching, simple as that.
          A volume puncher by nature often have good gas tank or else they wouldn't have adopted the style.

You ahve to counter them so they think before they rush in.
          Make them gun shy.
          I often make them respect my power early, that helps.

But counter punching, dancing will only gas you out.
          Many volume punchers are smaller and have good lateral movement them self.

Comment

circle around and keep on your toes, you need really good stamina and decent speed to keep them at bay but it works

i spar with them all the time at the gym jabs and straight rights are also really effective since it backs them up and it makes it hard for them to get in

Comment

Knock em Out!! That'll take care of the volumn punchers! Go get them and if your a hitter hit them hard and often and stop the bout. If your a pro just go do your job.
              How do you get them on the ropes when you don't throw any punches till they're there? Something weird here? Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Knock em Out!! That'll take care of the volumn punchers! Go get them and if your a hitter hit them hard and often and stop the bout. If your a pro just go do your job.
                How do you get them on the ropes when you don't throw any punches till they're there? Something weird here? Ray
                Go against the ropes yourself and when they get close to you and youre against the ropes then turn them.

Comment

A jab.

A good stiff jab, will impede the movement forward. Which will allow you to stick and move(circling). Which is how you beat volume punchers most of the time. Look at Cotto-Margarito 1 and then Cotto-Margarito 2. You'll see the tactic in use in part 2.

Comment

This seems to go against what everyone else is saying, but when I'm sparring with someone who's faster than me and throws more punches than me, I like to keep a solid guard, get in close and thrown a number of solid body shots, and try and wind them. I've found this is the best way to deal with people who rely on a seemingly endless amount of stamina in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X