Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a "Centry B.O.B. punching bag"? (lifelike human punching bag)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a "Centry B.O.B. punching bag"? (lifelike human punching bag)

Man these things look fun as hell to work out on!

But I have a few questions and concerns. I notice in the first video that the base moves every time the dude hits Bob with a power shot. Maybe it wasn't filled with enough water/sand?

-For those who have them does yours move around a lot?

-Are they really loud, to the point where it would bother neighbors?

-Do you suggest sand or water?

-Did you put some sort of mat under yours?

This is the one I plan on buying if everything pans out. It's the Bob XL one with the torso portion (as shown in the bottom 2 videos).

If only they had a Bob with arms with boxing gloves on that you could move around and position them so you can have different scenarios! That would be awesome.

Is this the best one?

http://www.amazon.com/Century-BOB-XL.../dp/B003QOHSLQ

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post

Man these things look fun as hell to work out on!

But I have a few questions and concerns. I notice in the first video that the base moves every time the dude hits Bob with a power shot. Maybe it wasn't filled with enough water/sand?

-For those who have them does yours move around a lot?

-Are they really loud, to the point where it would bother neighbors?

-Do you suggest sand or water?

-Did you put some sort of mat under yours?

This is the one I plan on buying if everything pans out. It's the Bob XL one with the torso portion (as shown in the bottom 2 videos).

If only they had a Bob with arms with boxing gloves on that you could move around and position them so you can have different scenarios! That would be awesome.

Is this the best one?

http://www.amazon.com/Century-BOB-XL.../dp/B003QOHSLQ

Hi There,

I had one of these, it was great fun........but didn't last two months! So I'd say forget it unless there is some sort of replacement warranty.

I filled it with water and it didn't move too much on concrete.

It is a bit noisy but it really depends on your neighbours whether they find it a nuisance or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      Hi There,

I had one of these, it was great fun........but didn't last two months! So I'd say forget it unless there is some sort of replacement warranty.

I filled it with water and it didn't move too much on concrete.

It is a bit noisy but it really depends on your neighbours whether they find it a nuisance or not.
      hey there thanks for replying,

How did it break exactly?

Did you use it exclusively for punches? (no mma blows)

Did you use bag gloves each time you used it?

And was it the Bob XL with the torso portion?

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
        hey there thanks for replying,

How did it break exactly?

Did you use it exclusively for punches? (no mma blows)

Did you use bag gloves each time you used it?

And was it the Bob XL with the torso portion?

The first thing to go was the spring, it got slacker and less bouncy.....then it went.

I still trained with it though! Next the connection from the spring to the base went.

Finally, the neck seemed to get a small rip.......and my wife severed the head from the body with a left hook after a row! (I'm glad it wasn't me she hit!!!).

I always used bag mits and I'm pretty sure it was the XL with height adjustability. No kicks, just punches.

As I said, it was great fun and a great training aid. It really helped my accuracy. If you get one, make sure you have a year's warranty.......so that you get a new one when it does break......and it probably will!

Comment

DOn't get one bro. . . It's just a novelty item. . It's so inconvenient to move. You gotta fill it up, and then empty it. . Even fully filled up, it still moves too much. . .

You can't move and circle. . Your angles are limited. . . Can't practice proper uppercuts with gloves on. . .

WAY TOO MUCH money as well. . I paid 200 for mine, but it was slightly damaged and the one Dicks Sporting Goods had on display. . I think they still run like 250-300+ You can get a 100 lb heavybag, and a double end bag, and then another workout item for this price. .

Definitely get a hanging bag on a swivel so you can circle it. . .

Comment

BOB is cool, but BOB is also a pain in the ass... He moves around quite a bit with water, and with sand he is difficult to move out of the way if you have to. He is loud enough that if you live in an apartment with paperthin walls he'll get complaints, also if he's filled with water his base will pop up on occasion is you push your punches. This will sound like someone jumping up and down on your floor. If your neighbors are cool, or if you have a decent amount of sound proofing, bob would be fine... He's louder than a heavy bag, but not by too much. The BOB I use gets used frequently, by 20 different people and he has held up well... So I don't know if We got a good one or if previous poster got a bad one...
            I'd get another one if I found one used, and cheap, they're worth $100 - $125 but not retail.

BOB has his pros and his cons, do you have any specific questions about it?

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
              You can't move and circle. . Your angles are limited. . . Can't practice proper uppercuts with gloves on. . .
              Yeah, this is a big issue too... You kinda just stand in front of BOB and bang.

Comment

yeah what some have said...its not that gr8 a thing...we have one at my gym and I never use it...much better just to use the good ole heavybag...i wont repeat the same dislikes as all the others..

Comment

Those things are the biggest waste of money, they are garbage. We always had on in the gyms I was working at but the only time that I would punch it was when walking past it. The main problem, besides it breaking down I guess, was that you could only stand in one spot to work it, that being right in front of it. A regular old heavybag will give you a much better work out. Don't waste your money on Bob........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry
                    Yeah thanks for the replies so far. I'm no boxer or plan to be one or anything like that so I was just going to use it as a working out tool for cardio or whatever. I already have a hanging heavybag that I use and it's great and all but hitting something like Bob looks so much more fun!
                    I think the heavy bag is a lot more "fun" to hit, since it swings. If you've already got a bag, no need to spend the $$ IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X