Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Fight Was the First Million Pound Gate in Great Britan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Fight Was the First Million Pound Gate in Great Britan?

A little trivia here.

What Fight Was the First Million Pound Gate in Great Britan?......Rockin'

I'm gonna go for the obvious....Cooper vs Clay?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
      I'm gonna go for the obvious....Cooper vs Clay?
      nope, thanks for trying though..........Rockin'

Comment

Damn. Gimme a clue bro...was it before or after that fight took place?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
          Damn. Gimme a clue bro...was it before or after that fight took place?
          it was after that fight........Rockin'

Comment

It was Donald Curry vs Colin Jones. I remember reading that Curry had a lot of trouble making weight for this fight. Afterward, he moved up to 154, then made the move back to 147 and took a pasting to Lloyd Honeyghan which would be his last fight at welterweight.

Comment

Very good question. I'm not sure of the answer.

I do know that the first radio commentary in Britain was Johnny Curley Vs Harry Corbett in 1926.

Also the first Brtish closed circuit screened was Pastrano Vs Downes in 1964.

Just abit of facts to counteract the fact I don't know the answer to your question

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                It was Donald Curry vs Colin Jones. I remember reading that Curry had a lot of trouble making weight for this fight. Afterward, he moved up to 154, then made the move back to 147 and took a pasting to Lloyd Honeyghan which would be his last fight at welterweight.
                That's it............. I see that you're from Detroit. I fought in Detroit a whole bunch of times back in the day...........Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 05-23-2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  That's it............. I see that you're from Detroit. I fought in Detroit a whole bunch of times back in the day...........Rockin'
                  Any notable memories you'd like to share? I would love to hear any stories. Where did you fight?

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    Any notable memories you'd like to share? I would love to hear any stories. Where did you fight?
                    Oh man, theres a ton of them. Nothing really pops into my mind right now as far as stories. Had a few fights down at Cobo, a bunch at the veterans memorial right next door. A few at the light gaurd armory and 4 at the Palace, but thats not in Detroit. I remember one down at Clark Park as an amatuer. I remember looking acrossed the ring at my opponent and he seemed like 6" taller than me. They then announce him as Marcus "Knock 'em out" Allen. The crowd went nutz and I was like what? I ended up stopping him in that one early in the 3rd. We fough like 4 times after that, he grabbed a close decision from me up in Canada but that was the only one he'd get from me. I remember one at a place called Todds bar, me and Raymond Keys were the headliner, I stopped him in 2. Then there was this guy Corey Johnson, it seemed every show he was there and we were getting matched up. The first time was in Detroit at a really nice Spanish church, I guess he was coming off of a junior national championship when we fought there. I butsed him up pretty good and won a decision but he was another that I had a series of bouts with. Honestly, I don't remember all of the places that we fought in Detroit, it was awhile ago. But when I was pro we were always in Detroit Gyms fighting it out, usually I was the lone white guy in there so I had to fight hard. My home gym was Galaxy and I was always swapping blows with Bronco McCart and Tarrick Salmaci, it was a tough group of guys with the big fish being James Toney. That guy was incredible to watch in the ring. If I think of more I'll let you know......Rockin'
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 05-23-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X