No announcement yet.

Boxing epithany

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing epithany

Fought an experienced guy today and a dude who played O line for U mass. I made a conscious effort to stay relaxed and the difference was incredible. Relaxing in the ring and a good jab are the keys to boxing...

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
    Relaxing in the ring and a good jab are the keys to boxing...

I agree... plenty of guys on here want to talk about how much they can lift and how fast they are... but focus, composure and relaxation rarely get a mention.. but you're so right.

Comment

the same thing i always say - relax relax relax! relax and breathe!

very underrated. my teacher constantly says that during sparring too. it should be a mantra for anyone who spars.

to be the best u can be, u have to feel comfortable. if u get nervous, u r bound to **** up and get frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post
        the same thing i always say - relax relax relax! relax and breathe!

very underrated. my teacher constantly says that during sparring too. it should be a mantra for anyone who spars.

to be the best u can be, u have to feel comfortable. if u get nervous, u r bound to **** up and get frustrated.
        My sentiment exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
          My sentiment exactly!
          does anyone have techniques to train the mind and to focus better. i'd like to put some into my training

Comment

I notice when I'm relaxed my punch output increases greatly, I parry punches with ease and the stamina issue goes straight out the window!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstranger View Post
              I notice when I'm relaxed my punch output increases greatly, I parry punches with ease and the stamina issue goes straight out the window!
              Exactly, and when you are a bit nervous or even intimidated your that much worse than if you just said relax and do my best.

Comment

Look at Pavlik - Taylor I.

Taylor was so tense, there was a lot of wasted movement (energy) and his stamina suffered greatly (even though he usually has stamina issues)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstranger View Post
                  I think that there's a phrase for it "being in the zone". That time and place where you breathe, relax, don't need to think. If you've done the ground work for fitness that place is where it all comes together in any sport, not just boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by markeeta View Post
                    does anyone have techniques to train the mind and to focus better. i'd like to put some into my training
                    hmm, the mind is to be trained just like the body but I would start watching some guys who are totally relaxed in their and see how they do it. You can watch Kelly Pavlik in his last fight and I like watching big George Foreman after his comeback. The guy was like he was just goin through the motions and nothing phased him. You need to be relaxed to operate at 100% and keep your stamina as well. Save your energy up for the split second that you snap a punch and thats all. good luck

Comment

Working...
                    X