Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner, help and advice appreciated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner, help and advice appreciated.

I love the sport and I have been really interested at getting into it for a while but unfortunately I can not afford the membership fees at my gym and have no time due to work commitments, instead I have purchased a speed ball, rope and have just purchased a punch bag which is the link below(Could you tell me if this is a good bag or not please). I plan to become the best I can while learning at home so I would really appreciate some advice from some of you guys. I know your probably thinking just get down the ****ing gym but I seriously do not have the time or money so I would really appreciate some tips and/or advice. If any of you could suggest a workout plan for me I would be really great full.
    Thanks.
    Here is the link for the punch bag:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golds-Gym-PU...3132059&sr=8-3
    Last edited by Karlos1991; 06-10-2008, 04:08 PM. Reason: Incorrect link

It is pointless telling you some workout plans for boxing as your just gonna get worse and worse technique. You need to joina gum or you can not get good at boxing. Join a gym!

Comment

If I was you i would get fit first, start doing 30 minute runs in the morning, sprints, burpee conditioning etc.. while doing strength work in the evening, (push-ups sit-ups) etc... then go to a gym and start fresh. That way your fit enough to do a few good rounds on the bag with proper technique if u know what i mean? Make time for the gym lol

Comment

How expensive can the gym membership be? If you can afford to go for a month (even a week if possible), do that. You'll learn proper technique and a workout program. Otherwise, you may develop bad habits training on your own without any guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by P4PKING_2008 View Post
          It is pointless telling you some workout plans for boxing as your just gonna get worse and worse technique. You need to joina gum or you can not get good at boxing. Join a gym!
          dude you leave people some **** advice...
          You act as if you are the all knowing...

This kid is excited about the sport and you are shooting him down.

This is a help forum not a bashing forum.

This is how you handle someone like this if you are a decent human being.

Hey bud,

I would recomend working on getting in shape before you start trying to box as legs and stamina are the two most important things. As far as boxing goes if you cant afford a gym membership try and get a couple lessons from someone who knows the game before you start just blindly hitting the bag. Dont get me wrong you can use the bag to get in shape but if you practice the wrong things you it WILL be detrimental if you want to eventually take it serious. If you just want to have some fun go to youtube and look up some instructional videos on how to punch and remember snap your punches not push them, keep your hands up and its all about speed!

Comment

Cheers for that Danny. I would say I am fairly fit already because I have been playing football since I was little, I also do burpee conditioning, bodyweight excersises etc, I just want to know a workout plan I could do at home incase I do not go to the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Karlos1991 View Post
              Cheers for that Danny. I would say I am fairly fit already because I have been playing football since I was little, I also do burpee conditioning, bodyweight excersises etc, I just want to know a workout plan I could do at home incase I do not go to the gym.
              Go on youtube and their are some good tutorials. Learn the proper mechanics of HOW to throw a punch before you start beating the ****E out of the bag...

Comment

danny is the 1 to listen to.

just work on general fitness n conditioning. uve got a jump rope, speedball n uve ordered a bag... so when u get bored of usin em whilst ur not at a gym, look up instructional videos that shows u different jump rope routines, new combos u can try out on the bag and an the speed ball and if u kno of a m8 or u meet some1 who is well into boxing with experience n currently going to the gym - get some tips n help.

Then once uve got ur fitness up, ur conditioning up and once u know brief basics (which reminds me learn to wrap ur hands if u can, if not gym trainers will happen) - but once u got a good idea of things n ur physically and mentally ready then take what u got and find time to go the gym if it means droppin a day off ur work shifts, then the trainers will take u to the next step and show u techniques, improve ur current attributes n weaknesses.

but yeah just follow danny i think he may be the 1 person on this thread with better knowledge. Good luck with things dude, seeya around

Comment

oh yeah and the last comment about correct punchin :S oops forgot.

just bust ur ass on learnin as much as u can n theres guys on here to talk to if u need advice on certain stuff incase youtube videos are insufficient

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
                    dude you leave people some **** advice...
                    You act as if you are the all knowing...

This kid is excited about the sport and you are shooting him down.

This is a help forum not a bashing forum.

This is how you handle someone like this if you are a decent human being.

Hey bud,

I would recomend working on getting in shape before you start trying to box as legs and stamina are the two most important things. As far as boxing goes if you cant afford a gym membership try and get a couple lessons from someone who knows the game before you start just blindly hitting the bag. Dont get me wrong you can use the bag to get in shape but if you practice the wrong things you it WILL be detrimental if you want to eventually take it serious. If you just want to have some fun go to youtube and look up some instructional videos on how to punch and remember snap your punches not push them, keep your hands up and its all about speed!
                    He can not expect to be anything not going to a gym and trainign at home will only make him worse. It is pointless boxing at home ih no esperience at all. A complete newbie who joined at the same time as him to a gym would do a lot better than him because he will learn bad habits and have false confidence. Hitting a bag can only take you so far and with no one telling you how bad your punching he will NEVER improve.

Comment

Working...
                    X