By Luis Sandoval

Andre Ward made a successful return back to the squared circle after a 14 month layoff as he bested previously undefeated contender Edwin Rodriguez over 12 rounds Saturday night. There were several storylines that developed in the lead up to the fight and one of the bigger ones was the random drug testing that was proposed.

Ward refused to accept Rodriguez’s public request for both to participate in VADA random drug testing which in turn caused many to question Ward’s reluctance. When BoxingScene caught up with Ward after the fight, he was asked to address the criticism he’s received for his decision. Ward reiterated the testing was not brought up until after negotiations had ceased and even said he would like to meet with VADA President Margaret Goodman to further discuss the testing.

“It’s simple. We had a 2 month negotiation and this kid never brought up VADA one time. We get to the press conference and all of a sudden he wants to bring it up. And the way he brought it up, I saw what he was doing. Me and Julie [Goldsticker] have called USADA. Not VADA but USADA. We’ve kind of done our homework to see what it costs and this that and the other. And I would like an opportunity to sit down with Margaret Goodman at the right time. I wanted to do it for the [Chad] Dawson fight but by the time I mentioned it, it was similar to me and Edwin’s situation; contracts were signed” Ward would tell BoxingScene.

Ward has caught some flak from those who wonder out loud why he’s refusing to do testing but Ward assures he’s on board with it and feels he just needs to get his questions answered and know everything before he proceeds. One thing Ward also mentioned was the fact that former BALCO founder Victor Conte who works with Rodriguez, is involved with VADA and feels it raises a conflict of interest.

“[Random drug testing is] something I believe in. It’s something that I feel fighters should do but at the same time I have to do my due diligence and do my homework. Just because it’s the latest and greatest thing doesn’t mean I’m going to jump head first in. I’m not an idiot. That’s [Victor] Conte’s fighter. He’s also set up the protocol and everything else for VADA. So you don’t think that’s a conflict of interest? That you want to sponsor me and all of a sudden you guys are pushing this VADA situation?” fired Ward.

“And then furthermore [Rodriguez] was getting tested for VADA for both of his fights in the Super Four [Tournament]. Why didn’t you demand blood and urine testing from those guys? Why didn’t you guys go to the media about those guys?”

At the end of the day, Rodriguez’s request for the testing was also shot down due to a matter of principle. Ward is the champion and the headlining name and seeing as Rodriguez was the challenger, Ward felt he was in no position to make that type of demand after negotiations and go about it the way that he did.

“Simply put I told him ‘we’re not having it’. We’re not going to be manipulated into doing random blood and urine testing. We’re not going to be bullied into doing random blood and urine testing. And he needed to understand and I wanted to send him a message right away that you are the challenger. I want you to know that now and I want you to understand that during the fight. So it was a principle stance. Now when I feel comfortable and I feel like all my questions are answered then we’ll make that decision from there” said the Oakland native.

Ward understands people are going to write what they want about the situation and that’s their right to do so. But he also questions why those same people who have made a big issue of his refusal to partake in the testing haven’t done the same for other fighters who took a similar stance.

“It was interesting to me that you have champions from the top to guys that aren’t even champions that aren’t even mentioning USADA or VADA and nobody is saying nothing about that. Then all of a sudden I make a stance and its a headline story. You got [Ruslan] Provodnikov and [Mike] Alvarado. Provodnikov took VADA testing, Alvarado didn’t. We didn’t hear a peep about that. Now all of a sudden I say no and I give a reason why and it’s a headline story. So it’s just interesting to me to see these two dynamics” said Ward.

You can follow Luis Sandoval on Twitter and Instagram @Truewest007.