Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Zamora: Paul McCloskey Dodged Me To Fight Prescott

By Ezio Prapotnich

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Behind it is another dimension, a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You just crossed into... No, not the Twilight Zone... It’s the WBA...

Italy-based Cuban, Fernandes “Brunet” Zamora, is currently ranked as the WBA's number 2 light welterweight in the world and Inter-continental Champion. After a blazing amateur career, where he beat the likes of current IBF champion Jan Zaveck and former British champions Lenny Daws and Barry Morrison, not to mention losing a 43-35 decision to Marcos Maidana, he turned pro in 2005, conquered the WBA Inter-continental belt in 2008 and patiently climbed the ladder.

After being ranked number 2, with the first position vacant, for a year, he just saw his overdue chance of a title shot disappear when a proposed Interim match with former European champion Paul McCloskey fell through. In a recent interview to Irish-boxing.com, the former Khan victim declared he wanted Zamora but, unluckily, the Cuban had injured his hand in his last TKO win and could not fight. “Brunet” has a different story to tell.

Q: How did the proposed deal to fight McCloskey come along?

A: He was promised by the WBA an interim match to decide who would occupy the then vacant number 1 position in the ranking and his first choice of opponent was no.3 Alberto Mosquero, but I was designated as mandatory co-challenger by the sanctioning body, so we were approached by his camp and negotiations started.

Q: What went wrong, then?

A: With the publication of June rankings, Humberto Soto was installed at number 1. Therefore, I reckon they saw a match with me as a risk without rewards. Prescott, who still has the reputation of being the only man to beat Khan but has been beaten twice in his last 5 bouts, is a bigger name, but he and McCloskey are respectively number 5 and 6. The only thing the winner can hope to get out of this is a pint of Guinness at the pub after the match.

Q; When and with what justification were you told the match was off?

A: I was told at 8 pm of the day before the official announcement. They claimed Prescott was cheaper than me.   My purse was going to be 25.000 euros.  I guess Prescott must really be fighting for a pint, then.

Q: What about the rumour that you injured your hand?

A: That’s a pathetic excuse. I had already started training.

Q: How do you feel about this?

A: How do you expect me to feel? I am 36 years old and I am not getting any younger. I have a wife and three daughters, I work every day from 7 to 15 as a gardener so I can support them and on top of that I train. I am unbeaten, I have been in the top ten for years, finally I seem to get a break and instead they pick a lightweight who did nothing in his career to justify his position but knocking Khan out with a lucky punch. But I blame McCLoskey for this, not Prescott.

Q: Would you like to send a message to him directly?

A: Paul, you will always be behind me in the ranks and you will be beneath me, on the canvas, if you ever face me.  I can get very cheap flights to Belfast with Ryan Air. Just call me and I will fight you for free.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Manny Pacquiao: Lucas Matthysse Will Not Be My Last Fight Giovani Santillan vs. Alejandro Barboza - Set For April 27 Khan: Joshua Inspiring Me To Rise Up, Sell Out Stadiums Again Zolani Tete is Eager To Clean Out The Bantamweight Division LIVE Stream: Adrien Broner vs. Jessie Vargas - Final Presser Photos: Amir Khan, Phil Lo Greco - Go Face To Face, Final Presser Amir Khan vs. Phil Lo Greco Sold-Out, Says Hearn Erickson Lubin vs. Oscar Cortes Set For April 28th in El Paso Schaefer Says Donaire vs. Frampton Fight is 'Evenly Matched' Vargas: A Big Possibility That I Can Knock Adrien Broner Out! Matthysse Warns Pacquiao: I'll Die Before I Lose My Belt To You! Hearn: If Khan Wins, He Could Fight Crawford, Spence, Brook Moses' Promoter: Beltran Lost, Biased Judges Scored for His Visa! Tommy Coyle Confident: The Dodd Fight is Made For Me Frampton, Warren Not Happy With Khan-Lo Greco TV Conflict Vetyeka's Old Foe, Donaire, Sends Speedy Recovery Message Ogawa Suspended For Six Months, Stripped of IBF Belt For PEDs Golovkin's Promoter: Canelo Should Have Been Fined, Too Pacquiao Moving Forward With Plan To Launch a Cryptocurrency Video: Jessie Vargas Discusses Adrien Broner Showdown Last Ride For Nonito Donaire? Chavez Jr: Obvious Canelo is Using, But That's Not Why He's Good Eleider Alvarez's Manager Rips Stevenson, Loves Kovalev Fight VADA: Canelo Not Currently Enrolled in Testing Program WBC Prez Praises Vanes: He is Worthy Opponent For Golovkin Sergey Kovalev's Promoter Details The Eleider Alvarez Deal Pacquiao: If I Pick Buboy - The Door is Not Closed on Roach Hearn is Pumped To Bring Khan vs. Lo Greco on ESPN+ Photos: Lamont Roach, Orlando Cruz - Ready For Battle in PR Frampton: Beating Donaire Puts Me in Position For Oscar Valdez Stevenson-Jack Announcement Imminent for May 19 in Montreal Greer vs. Dezurn Lands on ShoBox Quadrupleheader on May 11 Vanes: I'll Shock The World When I Beat Golovkin - I Already Know Pacquiao Wants to Prove He's 'Not Done Yet' Against Matthysse Dillian Whyte To Return On July 21 At O2 Arena Golden Boy Announces Canelo Will Return September 15 Kovalev To Fight Eleider Alvarez, Not Browne; Date, Venue TBA Canelo Alvarez Suspended for Six Months for Failing PED Tests Alberto Melian vs. Sergio Sosa for IBF Regional on May 26 Donaire: I'm Being Written Off as 'The Old Guy' - But I'm Peaking
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement