By Luke Furman
Nothing is going well between light heavyweight contender Artur Beterbiev and his promoter Yvon Michel of GYM.
As previously reported on Monday, Beterbiev (11-0, 11 KOs) filed legal documents to break his promotional pact with Michel. The two sides are expected to battle it out in court, with a decision coming down before the summer.
"We have a different opinion," said Michel to Radio Canada. "He believes that his contract is finished. We think the opposite. He will bring his arguments and we will bring our own. We met a few times. He explained his position to us, I explained his position to him. It's nothing personal, there's no animosity between us. It's just business. Since no agreement has been reached, a third party, a judge, will determine who is right."
Beterbiev complained that GYM failed to provide him with a guaranteed number of fights per year, per their contract, and they also were late with payments following his recent fights.
The 32-year-old Russian boxer is also involved in a legal dispute with his former manager, Anna Reva, who accuses him of breaking their contract.
"We've never had a problem until recently," Michel said. He asked to meet me and we just discussed things between us three times, once with his lawyer. We did not get along, but it was very cordial. We just have a different perspective. "
According to Michel, Beterbiev will still face German contender Enrico Köelling during the summer in an IBF final eliminator.
"We are still the promoters of Artur," said Michel. "I have already sent an email to him and his team to determine the date. On the side of the Germans, the agreement is already made for Köelling, his purse is settled, the agreement with Sauerland is settled. All they are waiting for is to send them the date and place."
"There is Ramadan in June [Beterbiev is Muslim, Editor's note], I do not know what influence it will have, but we must fight before the 3rd of August. "
Luke Furman covers boxing for bokser.org.