By Chris LaBate
Closing in on the end of his career, middleweight contender Ronald "Winky" Wright (51-5, 25KOs) returns for the first time in two years when he faces EBU champion Matthew Macklin (28-2, 19KOs) on April 9 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The former undisputed junior middleweight champion spoke with Suge Green of OnTheGrind Boxing Radio and gave his reason for accepting a fight with Macklin after two years of being inactive, and explained why he turned Macklin down last year.
"Nobody wanted to fight. At that time we were trying to look for something bigger and better. And it wouldn't happen. Nobody wanted to step up and give me the opportunity. Eventually, this fight came about again. And I said, well, if this is the only person we can get, then we have to take it. That's what it is," Wright said.
This is the final run for Wright, 39-years-old. If he loses to Macklin, then he might finally retire from the sport. He knows the fight is dangerous because Golden Boy Promotions recently signed Macklin and could be using his established name to build the British fighter up in the United States.
"That could be the case [on Golden Boy building him up], but If I want to get back and prove that I'm still one of the best fighters in my weight division, then I have to fight the best. I could easly come back and fight a bum or a stiff. Its not like there's a lot of money in this fight. Its not like they are paying me a lot of money in this fight. But if I want to prove that I'm the best, then I have to fight the best. Macklin is European champ. He's a good fighter. If can't beat him, then maybe its time to hang it up," Wright said.