Weight Loss Proteins -- The Casein & Whey Protein Debate
The weight loss protein debate centers around the effectiveness of casein and whey protein as weight loss supplements. Which type of protein can help you safely lose weight?
Support for Whey Protein
Whey, as a weight loss protein, is derived from animal milk sources.
Supporters of these products report that whey protein is superior to other protein supplements and can help dieters achieve their weight loss goals.
Here are the facts on whey protein:
- Pure whey is most commonly found in a powder form for making a shake.
- Whey protein quickly increases the blood levels of amino acids, usually within 1 hour, after ingestion.
- The increase in amino acids after ingestion a whey protein shake peaks around 2 hours and falls to normal levels by 4 hours.
- Little evidence is available on this fast build up of amino acids and the affects on weight loss. The results of some of the studies are inconclusive, at best.
- A faster recovery and repair of muscle tissue after exercise is a clear benefit of whey protein. This can indirectly help dieters successfully reach their weight loss goals.
- By supporting muscle tissue, whey protein helps to stabilize a fast metabolic rate -- a fast metabolic rate is critical to weight loss success.
- However, to benefit from this affect, the protein shake must be ingested right before a workout.
Whey protein appears to help dieters lose weight by supporting muscle tissue.
Support for Casein Protein
The other weight loss protein, casein, is derived from animal sources. Claiming superiority over other weight loss proteins, here are the facts on casein protein:
Casein protein seems to help dieters lose weight by preserving muscle tissue and promoting the breakdown of stored fat.
- It also is found in powder form for making a shake.
- Casein protein raises blood levels of amino acids much later than whey protein. Usually, the rise in amino acids begins around 2 hours after drinking the shake, peaks around 4 hours, and falls off 6 hours later.
- No evidence can support casein protein in the recovery and repair of muscle tissue after exercising.
- Evidence does support casein protein in the preservation of muscle tissue when fasting or dieting. Some suggest it might even promote fat loss in individuals trying to lose weight.
- This "fat loss" benefit is possible if the shake is consumed during times of long fasting (like between lunch and dinner, the second longest fast of the day for most people).
Weight Loss Protein Conclusion
Both whey and casein proteins appear to enhance weight loss efforts in two distinct methods.
Whey Protein--Supports muscle tissue.
Casein Protein--Preserves muscle tissue and may promote fat loss.
Additional information on healthy weight loss is available at the following links...
Best Weight Loss Programs
To Healthy Living!
Michael A. Smith, MD
Chief Medical Consultant
Diet Basics Website
Dr. Smith is the Chief Medical Consultant for Diet Basics, a content rich website dedicated to all dieters. Please visit his site at Diet Basics
Is Low-Carb Really The Way To Go?
The latest trend in the area of weight loss is low-carb diets such as the Atkins Diet. With so much conflicting information out there on nutrition and weight loss, it's difficult for the average person to not only find out what works, but also understand how to apply it.
The Pain of Instant Gratification
What a great world we live in. You want something, you get it! You need something, you buy it! You don't have money, you charge it!You don't deny yourself anything??do you? Why should you? If it feels good -do it!Right?WRONG!As we have found out over the years, feeling good and being good for you are two different things.
The Pros and Cons of Fad Dieting
It is very tempting to try that fad diet that you have found in the latest magazine, it promises the world with fantastic fat losses without doing a thing, just takea couple of fat burning pills follow the diet and then bang! a brand new you in a couple of weeks.The sad fact is they don't work, they just provide more suffering in your efforts to lose weight, the only thing you lose is your hard earned money.
Weight Loss Forums: Top 5 Reasons To Join An Online Weight Loss Support Group
You and I know that getting plenty of support from friends and family is a key to losing weight successfully. It's just plain fact that if nobody takes notice of your efforts, it is much harder to reach your goals and feel good about yourself.
Weight Loss With Bontril: Smooth Sailing On The Weight Loss Ocean
As many of us know, it's the first few days of starting a healthy new habit that can be the most discouraging. The first few days of exercise are always the achiest.