Fidgeting: The Natural Weight Loss Diet
It's now official. The simple act of fidgeting can mean the difference between lean and obese. It's the natural weight loss diet.
My friend likes to relate a story from time to time about when he was just a lad. His grandfather called him "Worm", because he fidgeted so much. And between you and me, it can get rather annoying.
But he had the right idea, even if it wasn't intentional. He's 5'8" tall and weighs around 145 lbs.
To my knowledge, he doesn't work out, jog, or go to the gym. He fidgets. When we visit, I watch him twist and turn, tap his feet in the air, get up and down from the chair and walk around. It's enough to drive you crazy, but his slim physique speaks volumes.
I've always believed that fidgeting is a result of a fast metabolism, so he naturally burns more calories, producing natural weight loss. But I also believe that fidgeting can be learned. Of course that's all we need, more people to drive us crazy!
Now there's a study to confirm what I've always believed. A detailed study conducted of mundane bodily movements found that obese people tend to be much less fidgety than lean people and spend at least two hours more each day just sitting still. The extra motion by lean people is enough to burn about 350 extra calories a day, which could add up to 10 to 20 pounds a year.
"There are these absolutely staggering differences between people who are lean and people who are obese," said James Levine of the Mayo Clinic, who led the research. "The amount of this low-grade activity is so substantial that it could, in and of itself, account for obesity quite easily."
Here are some things you could try.
* When a commercial come on TV, get up and stretch or better yet, move around. Just avoid the kitchen.
* Wriggle your toes and your fingers whenever you can. This will also tell you how sore they are and if their condition is so bad, just think of the rest of your body.
* Tap your feet in the air. Think of an upbeat song and tap along. This helps get your blood flowing.
* Do things like fetching, turning things off and on by yourself. Often when we come back tired from work, we tend to get others to do simple chores for us. These things are no big deal. They are things that we can very well do for our selves but we don't.
* When talking on the phone, get up and pace. Just vary your walking area. You don't want to wear a path in your carpet.
* Try breathing exercises. You might be surprised to know that breathing exercises too can lead to weight loss. If you are doing the breathing exercises properly, you will find that you can exert a lot of pressure on the muscles around the mid section.
You can feel a tightening of these muscles each time you breathe in or breathe out. So go ahead and breathe properly, it is good for you.
* Do not slouch in your chair, but try to maintain an erect posture with your tummy tucked in. Slouching is a very bad habit. Not only is it bad for your back but it also gives you a very flabby figure. It is your way of saying yes to a comfortable, weight-gaining pose.Make it a point to always sit as erect as you can. It is also a terrific way to ward off back problems.
Fidgeting isn't a cure-all for obesity, but if you're physically unable or just too plain lazy to eat right and workout, it's a great start.
Jill Miller has discovered the perfect diet for picky eaters. Subscribe free to her Fit4Life Club Newsletter and get the ExpeDiet ebook as a bonus.Lose Weight Now
Slowing Down Can Help You Lose Weight Faster
Running For Weight Loss??.Slow DownYou may be out running your fat burning hormonesSo you've loved running since your track days of high school.
Ephedra - Is It Safe And Effective?
Burn fat while you sleep! Eat whatever you want and still lose weight! Don't suffer through hours of grueling exercise to burn fat!You've probably heard all these phrases before but are the fat burners containing ephedra that these claims are attached to really that effective and are they safe?The primary ingredient in fat burners is the herb ephedra, also known as ma huang, or it's manufactured version ephedrine. It has been used in Chinese herbal medicine quite safely and effectively for thousands of years.
Law of Attraction Resolves Diet Controversy
Who'd have thought healthy eating could be so controversial? Lunching at my girlfriend's house one afternoon, I held my tongue as her neighbors who'd joined us argued the virtues of their respective diets. And not like nice girls would!Shelli is an avid high protein diet fan, while Debra is a food combining aficionado.
The Truth About Weight Loss: The 6 Biggest Myths About Dieting!
All of our behavior results from the thoughts that preceded it, so the thing to work on is not your behavior, but the thing that caused your behavior, your thoughts.- Dr.
Why Do Athletes Use Ephedra?
You are probably familiar with the weight loss connection with the ephedra pill, but did you know that the ephedra pill is also extremely popular with performance athletes? For decades, athletes have been seeking out ways to enhance their performance. One of the most common and popular enhancing substances was the ephedra pill.
Pizza, French Fries, Beer and Other Diet Foods
Now this is the real American Dream! I'm here to let you know that it is totally possible to lose all the fat you want while eating nothing but junk food. The only hitch is that all the fat you want to lose is going to have to be zero!Here are some tongue-in-cheek (or burger-in-belly) suggestions for how you can turn even the greasiest, sugariest, most overprocessed calorie bomb into lean, mean diet food.
A Mediterranean Diet - How to Lose Weight Safely
If you are looking for a way to lose fifteen pounds in two weeks, a high protein diet, a low carb diet, a fruit diet, a no fat diet, a blood type diet, a juice fast, a diet named after a place in Miami, a grapefruit diet, a cactus diet, a coffee and cigarette diet, a diet that includes sweets, a diet based on your body type, a diet based on an ancient religion or a diet based on your hair color, then this article is NOT for you.Fad and crash diets, such as the ones described above are not only unhealthy but they also cause rebound weight gain.