Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

WBC: Canelo-Cintron Still A Go Pending New Evidence

By Jake Donovan

They came, they heard, they kept things as-is.

The World Boxing Council followed up on its promise to attend the Wednesday press conference formally announcing Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’ super welterweight title defense versus Kermit Cintron, which takes place November 26 in Mexico.

While their purpose wasn’t simply to pine for the fight, it was all that really came out of the afternoon. A brief investigation of the reported incident alleging Alvarez’ involvement in a vicious street fight with junior flyweight titlist Ulises “Archie” Solis left the WBC no further along than when the day began, other than obtaining Alvarez’ side of the story.

Once again, the red-headed Mexican star proclaimed his innocence in the matter and his willingness to cooperate with the police in any efforts to help clear his name of any wrongdoing.

Solis insists that it was in fact Alvarez (38-0-1, 28KO) who approached him on Tuesday in a dispute over a woman, leading to a fight that resulted in the diminutive titlist suffering a broken jaw among other injuries that have forced him to cancel plans for a December return to the ring.

Long-reigning WBC President Jose Sulaiman attended Wednesday’s press conference to get Alvarez’ side of the story to compare to the claim filed by Solis. Earlier in the day, his son Mauricio Sulaiman informed Boxingscene.com that it would follow its own rules to the letter in the event that a court of law finds Alvarez guilty of any wrongdoing in this matter.

Don Jose stands by that statement, but for the moment stands behind the fighter that currently represents his organization as their super welterweight titlist.

“Canelo told me that he is innocent, and that is all of the information that I presently have,” Suliaman states, noting that his only first-hand knowledge of the incident comes from what he read in news reports. “If someone publicly claims they know more than this, it is merely speculation and in bad faith.”

Regardless of what comes of the case, the WBC is willing to assist in any building medical costs incurred by Solis (34-2-3, 21KO), a two-time junior flyweight titlist recognized by another sanctioning body. Interestingly, Solis has never participated in a bout officially sanctioned by the WBC, though it hasn’t stopped Sulaiman from taking a liking to the 30-year old or his brother, super featherweight titlist Jorge Solis.

“Solis is a man who has always been cordial with me and I wish him the best,” Suliaman said.

If found guilty of any involvement in this incident, Alvarez is at risk of being stripped of his alphabet title, in accordance with rule 1.25 (C) of the WBC Championship policy.

Alvarez won the vacant title after outpointing Matthew Hatton in their 12-round bout this past March. He has made two successful defenses since then, a 12th round stoppage over Ryan Rhodes of England, and a 6th round stoppage of countryman Alfonso Gomez this past September in Los Angeles.

His fight with Cintron will mark his fifth ring appearance in less than 12 months, dating back to his 12-round decision over Lovemore N’Dou last December in Mexico.

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter at twitter.com/JakeNDaBox or submit questions/comments to [email protected]
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by gibo on 10-28-2011

Had Mayweather beat up a 108 fighter. He would be hung on an oak tree! While sal pendejo will get off clean as if nothing ever happen!!!! WBC mesicans are ruled by armaian suliaman and his son. WBC =World Boxing…

Comment by delpilar on 10-27-2011

WBC is so obvious in protecting a thug.

Comment by Evil Abed on 10-27-2011

[QUOTE=Slyboots;11340493]This guy committed assault in broad daylight and is being protected by the WBC. How exactly are people "hating" on him?[/QUOTE] Come on Sly. People are using a altercation in which we don't know exactly what happened to bash a…

Comment by vallejoarmy on 10-27-2011

[QUOTE=Taaj Manzoor;11339937]Alvarez will walk away with a clean slate. He's a protected fighter inside and out of the ring.[/QUOTE] Probably so. Those who have the money or bring the money typically walk away with the clean slate whether it's in…

Comment by Bombs on 10-27-2011

If this fight doesn't happen I will honestly think Canelo pulled a Chavez Jr cop out.. but a better orchestrated one.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (21)
Top Headlines Photos: Dmitry Bivol Putting in Work For Sullivan Barrera Clash Wilder vs. Ortiz Update: Another Title Fight Added To Card Diaz: Gary Russell Has Lots of Flaws; Inactivity Will Be Downfall Hearn: I'd Love To Have Tony Bellew Fight Andre Ward Next! Kovalev-Mikhalkin: Ashkeyev, Murtazaliev, Nursultanov on The Bill Genesis Servania Inks Promotional Pact With Top Rank Holzken: I'm Here To Take Over The World Boxing Super Series Haye To Bellew: I Love You, I've Got a Crush on You Hooker: After I Win The Belt I Won't Run and Hide Like Flanagan! Hearn: Jacobs Deserves Shot at the Winner of Canelo-Golovkin Luis Ortiz: Wilder Talks So Much Just To Try to Convince Himself Briedis' Manager: In a Rematch, My Fighter Will Beat Usyk! Jack Catterall Confident That He Would Beat Ohara Davies Zelfa Barrett vs. Ronnie Clark For IBF European Title WBC Prez: Thurman Has To Fight Shawn Porter and Danny Garcia! Warren: Eubank is Domestic Level, How About Groves-Saunders? Golovkin's Coach: There is No Pressure To Knock Canelo Out Kem Ljungquist Feeling Pleased With Recent Performance Hall of Fame Promoter Reflects on Key Atlantic City Fights Frampton: I'll Need To Be at My Best To Beat Nonito Donaire Regis Prograis Very Motivated For Indongo Clash, Bigger Things Mikey Garcia: I'd Rather Fight Errol Spence Than Lomachenko Video: Richard Schaefer on Mayweather in MMA, Eubank's Future Video: Robert Garcia Talks Rios KO Loss, Mikey Garcia, Mares Andy Lee: It Was The Right Time To Retire From Boxing Photos: Jarrell Miller, Johann Duhaupus - Face To Face in NYC Photos: Daniel Jacobs, Maciej Sulecki - Go Face To Face in NYC Photos: Mikey Garcia, Sergey Lipinets - Open Workouts 'SuperFly' Concept to Continue, SuperFly 3 is Likely For The Fall Luis Ortiz Has Been Tested Seven Times for PEDs by VADA, NYSAC Patrick Teixeira vs. Davi Eliasquevici in April for WBO Latino Belt Granat To Train at Kronk With Banks, Tony Yoka Back on April 7 Hearn: If Joshua, Miller Win, They'll Fight in August at Barclays Katie Taylor Vows To Steal The Show at Barclays Center Photos: Callum Smith, Nieky Holzken - Go Face To Face at Workouts Andy Lee Announces His Retirement From Boxing Saunders: Eubank Jr. is Never, Ever Going To Be a World Beater! Wilder: I've Been Calling Out Anthony Joshua For Almost 2 Years! Bradley Skeete vs. Kerman Lejarraga For EBU Belt on March 24 Frederik Hede Jensen Set For Next Fight on March 10
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement