By Terence Dooley
As previously reported, WBA Vice President Gilberto Jesus Mendoza will oversee an official scoring review of Saturday’s fight between WBA lightweight holder Darleys Perez (32-1-1, 20 KOs) and Manchester’s Anthony Crolla (29-4-3, 11 early), which took place at the Manchester Arena (formerly the MEN) and was shown live on Sky Sports here in the U.K.
The fight was declared a majority draw despite many in attendance scoring the fight to Crolla following a hard fought battle that featured two late low blow point deductions for the Colombian visitor.
Ten judges will score the fight again, five using full point and the other five using a half point system. The governing body has not given a timescale, but hopes to clear the matter and publish the results as soon as possible.
“The WBA focuses on promoting fairness and neutrality in world title bouts,” Mendoza said. “We pledge unconditionally to deliver the most realistic decision from our international officials. In this instance, an evaluation of the scorecards is necessary.
“It is a must for all controversial championship fights. We expect to have an announcement very soon on Perez-Crolla.”
Eddie Hearn promoted the show; he told The Sun that he is trying to secure a winter return.
He said: There wasn't anyone in the arena or watching around the world who gave the fight to Perez or a draw so how can those judges get it wrong and rob the kid of his childhood dream? That was the biggest kick in the nuts. Hopefully the WBA will now do the right thing and we can get that fight made for November.”
Please send news and views to @Terryboxing