By Ruslan Chikov
The WBA's Intercontinental light heavyweight champion Vyacheslav Uzelkov (22-0, 14KOs) wants to put the hurt on full champion Beibut Shumenov (9-1, 6KOs). Uzelkov is the mandatory challenger to the title. He owns a knockout win over Gabriel Campillo, who lost a very controversial decision to Shumenov in their rematch earlier this year.
Uzelkov is promoted by the company of the Klitschko brothers, K2. After watching the way Campillo was robbed in the rematch with Shumenov, he was advised by WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko to get the knockout.
"The sanctioning body is going to protect his title until May 29 [deadline for Shumenov to make the mandatory defense]. I'm the mandatory challenger and the fight between the two of us is certain to take place and likely to happen in the United States. There has been a lot of talk that he bought himself the title in the fight with Campillo, but as Vitali Klitschko says, it is necessary to knock him out so there were no questions, and as a matter of fact, that is excactly what I plan to do. Shumenov had the title for a little while and now it will transfer over to me," Uzelkov told turnir.com.ua