by David P. Greisman
Retired two-division world titleholder Vinny Pazienza won’t be spending any time behind bars after an alleged scuffle with two women at a Rhode Island bar.
Pazienza, 49, has instead been sentenced to 30 hours of community service and also must undergo alcohol counseling after pleading no contest Monday to one count of disorderly conduct, according to The Associated Press.
Prosecutors dropped one count of simple assault, the report said.
The alleged incident happened in July at a bar/restaurant, according to a Providence Journal report at the time. Pazienza had been accused of grabbing one woman’s breast, which led to the two yelling at each other, causing the woman’s friend to get involved. That second woman accused Pazienza of hitting her in the throat, grabbing her hair and throwing her to the floor.
Pazienza, meanwhile, told police that “he grabbed [the second woman’s wrists] until she released him, then she fell,” according to the newspaper.
Pazienza held world titles at lightweight and junior middleweight, and also challenged for belts at junior welterweight and super middleweight. He last fought in 2004, ending his two-decade career on a win that brought his record to 50-10 with 30 knockouts.
David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter @fightingwords2 or send questions/comments via email at [email protected]