By Luke Furman
Former WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev (50-2, 34 KOs), now a Russian parliament deputy, has responded to some of the recent comments which given by Vitali Klitschko, the current WBC champion. In a recent interview, Vitali (43-2, 40 KOs) said he was still interested in facing the seven-foot "Russian Giant." Vitali blamed Valuev and his numerous promoters for their negotiations falling apart in 2010.
As BoxingScene.com reported on Thursday, Valuev has little to no interest in continuing his boxing career and doesn't plan to fight in 2012. He last fought in 2009, losing a close twelve round decision to David Haye. On his way to retirement, Valuev wanted to discuss his side of the story regarding the Klitschko negotiations.
"I really wanted to fight Klitschko. He claimed that I didn't want the fight because I demanded more money. Thus, the proposed conditions were very low and I did not agree to them. Then, Vitali stated that during his visits to Russia, I refused to meet and talk with him. That's a lie. We met. That's when I told him that I stand ready to fight regardless of the conditions and in any country. The conversation with Vitali ended and since then they have not resumed. I now have other goals as an athlete and I feel satisfied. Over the last year of my life there have been many changes and the fight against Klitschko is obsolete," said the 38-year-old Valuev.
Luke Furman covers boxing for bokser.org