Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Team Uzcategui Will Push For No-Contest, Dirrell Rematch Order

By Miguel Rivera

Fernando Beltrán, CEO of Zanfer Promotions, described the physical aggression suffered by his boxer, Venezuelan Jose Uzcategui, as a "painful" and "cowardly" act.

The incident took place after his fighter was disqualified for hitting super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell after the bell on Saturday night in Maryland.

After the controversial decision in the eighth round, Leon Lawson, uncle and one of the coaches of Dirrell, came to claim the corner of the Venezuelan and unexpectedly began to strike a distracted Uzcátegui with punches.

uzcategui-dirrell-fight (30)

As BoxingScene.com previously reported, Uzcategui and his team have filed assault charges and there is an open arrest warrant for Lawson.

"It was an outrage from all sides. It was a very painful thing that made Dirrell's team look cowardly, with a punch that was practically snuck in," said the the promoter to ESPN Deportes. "We are going to legally prosecute Dirrell's team and whoever is responsible."

The World Boxing Council became the first organization to punish Lawson for his behavior. The sanctioning body suspended him indefinitely from participating in any fight sanctioned by the WBC "in any form or manner". The ABC has also called for him to be banned.

The controversial victory allowed Dirrell to take over the IBF's interim belt in the super middleweight division.

Dirrell was struck by a three punch combination as the bell was sounding. The final punch appeared to come right at the belt and a shade after. He fell to the mat face first and appeared to out of it.

Beltrán revealed that they will also proceed to file a complaint over the incident against the Maryland State Boxing Commission and the casino security, and the MGM National Harbor where the event was held.

He added that they will protest the decision of the fight, in search of it being declared a no-contest.

"Dirrell was running. he was terrified of Uzcátegui," said Beltran. "The best thing would be to make the fight a no-contest. Neither a victory for one nor a victory for the other. Let the IBF order a direct rematch and fix things as things should be fixed in this sport, in the ring."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Ake-Dawg on 05-24-2017

[QUOTE=ShoulderRoll;17695443]You don't get to hit a guy in the balls then excuse it because "it was part of a combination, doe." Illegal is illegal. And Uzcategui had already been warned once for this infraction already. That punch came late and…

Comment by Ake-Dawg on 05-24-2017

[QUOTE=OnePunch;17694984]you couldnt be more wrong. It is ABSOLUTELY the referee's job to determine intent. That is why there are "intentional" fouls, and "unintentional" fouls, and its up to the referee to determine the violators intent. This was an unintentional foul,…

Comment by xxlefthookxx on 05-23-2017

No DQ necessary. A low blow is the direction of the punch, of which the fighter is wholly aware. The timing of a punch during the round is a different matter. There is no timer in your head, and the…

Comment by .!WAR MIKEY! on 05-23-2017

NC is the right call wasnt tremendously after the bell it was in a sequence that landed right at the end of the bell.

Comment by ShoulderRoll on 05-23-2017

You don't get to hit a guy in the balls then excuse it because "it was part of a combination, doe." Illegal is illegal. And Uzcategui had already been warned once for this infraction already. That punch came late and…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (26)
Top Headlines Arum: Wilder-Fury Needed a Promoter and a Megaphone Amir Khan: Terence Crawford Is A Better Legacy Fight Than Brook Frank Warren on Wilder-Fury II, Frampton's Future, Warrington Lyon Woodstock Takes a Swipe at British Champ Sam Bowen Carlos Takam Feels Time is Right For Dereck Chisora Rematch Roach: Pacquiao, With Two Hands, Does Much Better With Floyd Reymart Gaballo, Romero Duno Get Opponents For February 9 Canelo: Beating Jacobs I'll Be One Step Away From Undisputed Brian Ceballo Staying Level-Headed, Taking Things Step By Step Ellerbe: Pacquiao Has Many Options at 147 - But Not Mayweather David Lemieux vs. John Ryder Possible For Canelo-Jacobs Card Crawford-Khan: Madison Square Garden Chosen as Site Francisco Vargas Vows Revenge: I'm Not Impressed By Berchelt Josesito Lopez Values Improvements To His Game Under Garcia Arum: Joshua Damaged His Credibility, Fury Viewed as #1 in U.S. Keith Thurman vs. Josesito Lopez - Added Undercard Fights Badou Jack: I'm a Fighter, So I Ain't Gonna Quit Pacquiao vs. Broner Replay: January 26th on Showtime Harrison-Charlo Rematch Ordered, New Final Eliminator Too Demetrius Andrade vs. Billy Joe Saunders Ordered By WBO Pacquiao: If Mayweather Can't Fight at My Level - Stay Retired News: Luis Lebron, Benson, Hamza, O'Donnell, Srour, Barlow Hearn Cautions 'Now or Never' For Whyte To Accept Joshua Offer Scardina-Kekalainen Tops Matchroom Italy Card on March 8 DiBella: After Commey Beats Chaniev, We Want Lomachenko Fury: Wilder's The One Who Has To Redeem Himself, Not Me! Khan: The Offers for Crawford and Brook Were Literally The Same Frank Warren To Wait Out Warrington vs. Galahad Purse Bid Charr Wins Appeal, Reinstated As WBA Titlist; Box-Off To Follow Miles Shinkwin Back In March, Defends English Title Frank Warren: Joshua Made Massive Mistake in Snubbing Wilder Canelo-Jacobs: NSAC To Review Venue Request at 1/29 Hearing Eubank Jr. Very Pleased With Camp Ahead of Degale Clash Caleb Plant: I'm The Big Dog at 168, They've Got To Come See Me Hearn: Wilder, His Handlers Don't Have Decency To Answer Back Chris Algieri Confident He Can Raise His Level Against Hooker Kovalev Asks Fans 'Not To Make Hasty Conclusions On Situation' Cano in Line For a Big Fight, Linares Heading Back To 135 Curtis Stevens Heading To 154: Eyes Hurd, Lara, Harrison, Munguia Pulev vs. Helenius Clash Still Be Worked Out For Crawford-Khan
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement