By Ben Jacobs
Emmanuel Taylor (18-3, 12 KOs) is naturally disappointed that his fight with Antonio Orozco fell through after the California-based Mexican sustained a cut in training. Just a couple of days after concluding an interview for BoxingScene in which he discussed the Orozco contest, his manager called him to reveal the bad news.
“I’m a little disappointed about the whole situation,” said Taylor, again speaking to BoxingScene on Sunday.
“My manager called me up and told me he had a bad cut. I really wanted to get that fight because I felt it was a real winnable fight for me. It would have been worse if it happened a week before the fight. I feel like his eye would have been healed up by fight time but I know he’s got to get his sparring in, so I understand where he’s coming from.”
Besides staying ready for another potential bout, Taylor is also currently taking part in some filming for the upcoming movie Creed which will feature other well known boxers, among them will be Andre Ward.
“It’s been a nice experience, it’s been a long process. I can’t see how these actors do it, I couldn’t do it! I give actors their props, it takes a lot of work. But I got to meet Sylvester Stallone. I go there tomorrow which is my third day there.”
With regards to his next move, Taylor has made it clear on social media who he wants to face.
“I’m looking at fighting Mauricio Herrera, I’ve been putting it all over the internet now so I’m hoping I can get a fight with him. I didn’t see his Benavidez fight but I did see the Danny García fight and his one against Karim Mayfield, who I got a decision over. He’s there to get hit. He’s a little tricky but I feel like I can bring the fight to him and walk him down.”
Fans will remember Taylor's contest with Adrien Broner last year as one of 2014's most exciting encounters. In fact, the fight in Broner's hometown of Cincinnati was close as it was thrilling, only a last round knock down in favour of Broner was the real difference in a nip and tuck battle.
"I got a lot of credit, I gained a lot of fans after the Broner fight," Taylor explained.
"I proved everybody wrong, I showed I'm one of the contenders, I showed I'm in the top 10. I can compete with those guys at the top level, I showed a lot of heart in that fight. Unfortunately I didn't get the win but I'm right back at it.
"I thought it was close, I kind of gave it away when I got knocked down in the last round but during the fight it was kind of close. It was real tough, we were going back and forth and I trained real hard for that fight. I was in top shape and ready to go."
While Broner moves on to face John Molina in an intriguing opener to Al Haymon's NBC boxing show, Taylor explained that he would have liked another crack at the former three weight world champion.
"I still want to get a rematch with Broner, no question about it. I'd love to get a rematch with him. I haven't watched much of John Molina, just the fight against Lucas Matthysse. He's tough as well, he's strong. It's a good fight. I think Broner's going to box him, keep his hands up and get his defence together. It's going to be a good fight.
"I don't think they (Broner's camp) thought it would be an easy fight because I know the coaches from the amateurs. I know them as well as they know me. I was called into camp for Broner before they announced the Molina fight but now they said they don't need me because they need a tall guy like Molina.
"This year you will see the best of me, I'm in my prime now. The Broner fight helped my confidence. I gained a lot of fans and people like to see me in the ring. It's going to be a wonderful year for me.”
Although from Maryland, Taylor tends to train in Philadelphia now since linking up with manager Dave Price. Previously he had trained at the Headbangers Gym alongside the likes of Lamont and Anthony Peterson. In the City of Brotherly Love, fighters such as Hank Lundy and Julian Williams provide him with the top quality work in order to prepare for fight night. The 24-year-old has been active following a gap between his win over Victor Cayo and his loss to Chris Algieri.
"I had a nine month break before the Algieri fight and after that I fought Karim Mayfield. I was pretty rusty after Algieri so I told my manager I wanted to get right back in the ring, and that got me ready for Broner. Overall I like staying busy and then you see me at the top of my game."