WBC PRESIDENT HURT BY PACQUIAO’S DECISION TO FIGHT MOSLEY/Ronnie Nathanielsz
World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman has indicated he is personally hurt by the decision of pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao to defend his WBO welterweight title against Shane Mosley at the MGM Grand on May 7.
The WBC president learned that the fight had been finalized on the same day that the premier world professional boxing organization named Pacquiao as its “Fighter of the Decade.”
Sulaiman told BoxingScene.com/Inquirer in an overseas telephone conversation from his home in Mexico that Pacquiao and his people “were fooling around with the WBC and the others. ”
While Sulaiman stressed “He (Pacquiao) is a hero and I like him very much. He is not paying any respect to the WBC and myself at all. He has never mentioned anything favorable to the WBC.”
Sulaiman said that “at this time of his life he doesn’t care about anything, he only cares about making money I guess.”
The WBC president said that if Pacquiao doesn’t “respect the WBC rules then we have to do something about it” although he admitted “it would make us very unpopular.”
Sulaiman blasted the choice of Mosley saying “he is completely over the hill. He looked very, very bad and very slow in his last fight against a bum (Sergio Mora)” even as he joined a chorus of growing numbers who have condemned the fight and claimed that Pacquiao is only in it for the money.
WBC founding secretary general Rudy Salud earlier said that while Pacquiao had a right to make money after all he has given the country, he “cannot claim that he is fighting Mosley for the country and people. He is fighting for the money.”