Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Sulaiman: Cuello Will Fight Zhong For WBC Title in July

by Ronnie Nathanielsz

World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman  has confirmed that No.1 ranked Denver Cuello will finally get his mandatory title shot against China’s Xiong Zhao Zhong in China, sometime in July.

Sulaiman said he was not certain about the date or the venue for the fight although he said it would be in one of the largest cities in China.

His brief interview was seen on You Tube.

The Cuello-Zhong title fight will be the second such event on mainland China.

Mexico’s Juan Francisco Estrada won the WBO/WBA titles when he beat Brian Viloria in Macau, China, last April 6 .


Sulaiman disclosed that they expect 200 million viewers of the fight on the free television networks in China surpassing the 130 million who watched Zhong win the title with a twelve round unanimous decision over Mexzico’s Javier Martinez Resendiz in Kunming last November 24.

The Chinese world champion was scheduled to face Nicaragua’s Carlos Ortega but that fight was cancelled, according to Sulaiman and Zhong will now defend his title against mandatory challenger Cuello.

Sulaiman noted that Cuello who is managed and trained by Aljoe Jaro  “has been waiting for the opportunity for almost a  year after stepping down  to allow Zhong to fight for the vacant title against Javier Rezendiz.

The WBC board of governors at its convention in Cancun granted Zhong a voluntary defense before hie mandatory defense against Cuello but that fight was cancelled and Sulaiman revealed Zhong will go ahead with his mandatory defense against the hard-hitting Filipino southpaw.

Sulaiman said the Chinese people are “very interested”  in seeing the Zhong-Cuello title fight  even as the WBC president said he expects “the best man to win.”

He said the WBC wants to support China which is the  largest country in the world even as he added “the WBC has great expectations for boxing in China and we are very proud that the WBC staged the first world title fight in China.”

The 30 year old Zhong has a record of 20-4-1 with 11 knockouts while nthe 26 year old Cuello has a record of 33-4-6 with 21 knockouts.

In his last tune-up fight Cuello won a ten round majority decision over Japan’s Takashi Kunishige in Osaka. Cuello previously won nthe vacany WBC Silver title with a 1st round TKO of Carlos Perez on October b15, 2011 in Mexico and followed it up mwith a 2nd round TKO over fancied Ganigan Lopez also in Mexico on May 19, 2012 which earned Cuello the right to face Zhong.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by nycsmooth on 04-30-2013

The truth is rarelty told in these matters, but if this bout happens it will be all Denver, don't care where they fight...

Comment by puga on 04-29-2013

die you lyin ass fat pig.....

Comment by Hougigo on 04-29-2013

Also proofread your damn article. I understand spelling "the" wrong once.... but twice?

Comment by Hougigo on 04-29-2013

I'll believe it when the bell goes off

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (4)
Top Headlines Adonis Stevenson: Andre Ward is Playing Games, He's Not Retired Hatton: Mayweather-McGregor in MMA Makes Me F***ing Furious Zolani Tete: Belfast Fans Know I'm The Man To Beat Ryan Burnett Frank Warren Talks Anthony Yarde, Daniel Dubois York Hall Card Coldwell To Eubank Jr. - Beg Adam Booth To Take You Back! Porter: I Think Right Now Thurman is Better Than Errol Spence Bivol Aims To Use Some of Andre Ward's Tactics on Barrera How To Fix The 147-Pound Logjam Of Talent With a Tournament Gonzalez, Cintron, Vargas Wins Bouts in Kissimmee, Florida Hearn Open To Do Joshua-Wilder Twice - One in U.S., One in UK Robert Garcia: Mikey is Special Fighter Like Mayweather, Pacquiao Rances Barthelemy: I Want Mikey Garcia in My Next Fight Estrada: I'm Looking To Knock Sor Rungvisai Out, Leave No Doubt Lemieux vs. O'Sullivan on The Canelo-Golovkin Card? Sadam Ali vs. Liam Smith Deal Getting Close, Says Frank Warren Loeffler's 360 Promotions Club Series To Begin on March 27 Photos: Cuadras-Arroyo, Nietes-Reveco, Viloria-Dalakian Weights Photos: Sor Rungvisai, Estrada - Ready For Superfly War Juanma Lopez, Jayson Velez on Point at Final Pre-Fight Weigh-In Horn Suffers Camp Setback For Crawford After Robinson KO Andre Dirrell on Training With Virgil Hunter For Uzcategui Rematch Jermall Charlo vs. Hugo Centeno Pushed Back To April 21 Hobson Wants To Secure Eubank Jr. For Liam Cameron Bellew is Convinced That He Can Put Usyk To Sleep De La Hoya Sure Canelo-Golovkin Rematch Will End in Knockout Dale Evans Decides To Retire From Boxing Max Schmeling Gym Might Close, Culcay, Turchi-Nielsen, More Photos: Callum Smith, Nieky Holzken - Ready For WBSS Showdown Daniel Jacobs: Sulecki Will Fight, Not Try To Survive Like Arias Deontay Wilder on Luis Ortiz: Once a Cheat, Always a Cheat Charlo: I Don’t Give a Sh*t What Centeno Did; I'm No Aleem! Adonis Stevenson: Kovalev Not Ready, They Are Trying To Save Him Bellew Backs Callum Smith To Beat George Groves, Win Ali Trophy David Haye: If I Beat Tony Bellew and Struggle - I Will Retire Hearn: Eubank Jr. is a Star - But Any World Class Boxer Beats Him Robert Helenius Returns on March 17, Faces Yury Bykhovtsev Amir Khan: I Just Could Not Retire After The Canelo Loss Porter: Thurman Needs To Step Up - Stop Babying His Elbow! Joseph Diaz Warns Gary Russell - You're Next, I Want That Belt! Mikhalkin's PED Suspension Nearly Made Him Quit Boxing in 2016
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement