GAB chairman Eric Buhain has acted on the failure of the family of Lito Sisnorio, who died following brain surgery conducted after he suffered a fourth round knockout in a terrible mismatch against former WBC flyweight champion Chatchai Sasakul on March 30, to make sure they receive what is due.
Buhain said he had written to the Philippine Embassy in Thailand to “follow up because they said they were the ones who were going to receive the money.” Well- known boxing writer Scott Mallon earlier informed Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that the family of the 24 year old Sisnorio would receive 100,000 baht which amounts to around P135,000 from insurance. Mallon comments on the amount saying “not much for a human life.”
Buhain said he saw Thai promoter Piyarat Vachirantanawong and matchmaker Panya in Japan for the WBC title fight some two weeks ago but unfortunately didn’t know that the insurance money hadn’t been received by the parents of Sisnorio.
Piyarat had earlier told Bangkok Post columnist Edward Thangarajah after the death of Sisnorio that they would “get in touch with his (Sisnorio’s) nearest relative and ensure that they are compensated. Lito fought in our program and it is our duty to look after his interests.”
However, journalist Salven Lagumbay of Philboxing.com who visited Sisnorio’s parents some weeks ago to hand over the funds raised by supporters of Pacland reported that the parents told him they hadn’t received the promised insurance money from the Thai promoter.