by Adrian Warren
Australia's IBF middleweight boxing world champion Sam Soliman won't fall into the trap of dismissing challenger Jermain Taylor after the American was arrested and jailed in the build-up to their world title bout next month.
Former world champion Taylor was arrested late last month and spent one night in jail in Arkansas on suspicion of domestic battery and aggravated assault in connection with the shooting of a relative.
Taylor, who has previously held the middleweight title of all four major world organisations, was released on a $US25,000 ($A27,000) bond and allowed to travel out of state to train and fight Soliman in Biloxi, Mississippi on October 8.
Soliman's manager David Stanley was adamant his charge would not be influenced or distracted in his preparations by 36-year-old Taylor's troubled leadup to the bout.
"You're tempted to go that way, but you don't want to think about it," Stanley told AAP.
"At this level, he's such a respected fighter to our camp, we're not even looking at that."
Stanley was only briefly worried that the fight might be in jeopardy after hearing of Taylor's arrest.
"That would have been in the back of my mind, but I thought 'let's just see how the dust settles,'" Stanley said.
"Within 12 hours we knew that it was definitely on."
He has noticed a change in Soliman's demeanour since the 40-year-old Victorian won the world title from Felix Sturm in Germany earlier this year.
"It seemed to me reinforcement of his self-belief to himself, it's come out in his preparation," Stanley said.
"I'd have to say it's the strongest I've seen him."
Soliman is unbeaten in his past 10 fights and last tasted defeat six years ago.
He has prepared for Taylor by sparring with unbeaten young Australian professional super middleweights Jake Carr and Zac Dunn.