Los Angeles, CA - On Tuesday of last week, US Olympian and current undefeated super middleweight boxer Shawn Estrada underwent surgery at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.
The surgery, headed up by Dr. Roy Meals at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA, involved repairing a ruptured extensor tendon in the sagittal band of Estrada’s right ring finger which was injured in sparring while the hot East L.A. prospect was preparing for a scheduled November 28 bout.
“The doctors basically told us by doing surgery the injury should never re-occur or be a problem again. He should be ready to return to the ring in three months,” Estrada’s co-manager Eric Scholnick said.
Since signing with Goossen Tutor in October 2008 and turning pro a month later with a one-minute demolition of Lawrence Jones in Ontario, CA, the 24-year old Estrada has knocked out all six of his opponents – five in the first round. In his most recent bout back in May, he registered a first-round stoppage of Cory Jones in Oakland, CA.
“I had some bad luck with injuries this year,” said Estrada, who, in addition to missing a fight due to his recent surgery, had to pull out of a scheduled bout on the Chris Arreola-Vitali Klitschko undercard at LA’s Staples Center in September. “I am confident that I will remain healthy in 2010 and continue to fulfill my goal as a world class professional.”
Promoter Dan Goossen added: “the key is having Shawn healthy and fit going into 2010, and he’ll take care of the rest.”